cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to avoid being published as Gallery App?

pekayatt
Expert Protege
Hi there,

The most recent game from the Company I work for (VRMonkey) is about to be launched, we have finished all the preparations and sent the build to be approved on the Store. The review process was amazingly fast! It took less than a week to get a very good response, but them I received an email saying that my app will be put on Gallery Apps.

Our game is pretty much done, we will release new levels as updates, but it is not an EARLY ACCESS or anything like that, I do now want my game to be view as such, and several games from the Gallery Apps section look like that.

Is there anyway I can avoid that? Should I delete my app and send it to be reviewed again? 

I know that they are not serious when they say: "The Content Review Team continues to monitor user metrics for our Gallery Apps, and any titles that show outstanding user adoption, game play time, etc. are reviewed regularly for conversion into the main section of the Oculus Store.", since there are apps on the TOP SELLING list that still branded as Gallery App... and this concerns me a lot.
81 REPLIES 81

VR_Shackler
Expert Protege

@VR.Shackler
Last time I inquired the store team they told me that they do not care about badgets anymore. So if you want you can do one yourselft when updating it.

Really? I was refused them yesterday.

SergioGardella
Explorer
I have gone through the documentation and have not found anything related to Galery Apps. This looks like the correct place to be stated, althought it says "to be eligible for publication" which I understand as you may be totally rejected:
42ow9stzhze0.png

Design Considerations

Oculus has learned a lot about the baseline elements that VR apps must incorporate and achieve to be ready for consumers. To that end, there is a set of minimal technical and content standards you must design into your app to be eligible for publication in the Oculus Store. These standards help us ensure a great user experience for Gear VR and Oculus Rift owners.

Extracted from: https://developer.oculus.com/distribute/latest/concepts/publish-app-review/

pekayatt
Expert Protege

@VR.Shackler
Last time I inquired the store team they told me that they do not care about badgets anymore. So if you want you can do one yourselft when updating it.

Really? I was refused them yesterday.

Ok, I might be wrong and this only apply for the Motion Controller Support Badge, but this was the answer:

I checked in with our team. It seems that the controller badge is something that we don't do anymore, so that part of the document is a little outdated - sorry for the confusion.

But, in fact I haven't asked about new content badge.

southpac
Protege
Thanks everybody!
Can you guys briefly explain to me what are the new content badges and how to get them? 

VR_Shackler
Expert Protege
Third day into a 1 week sales period and I'm still waiting for new assets I had prepared to go live.
Granted, they did contact me on Wed to say my hero image didn't have enough bleed area so I fixed it immediately, submitted and contacted them, then contacted them again yesterday. Still waiting!
I also submitted a 30% discount but they changed it to 50%. Won't be promoting until assets go live.

Edit: A kind lady called Maria got them live for me 🙂

SergioGardella
Explorer
I also got an answer from Maria. I am waiting for being published after passing the review test and got no answer, throught this forum, email or anyhow when suddenly yesterday Maria contacted per mail. 2 points for María 😉

VR_Shackler
Expert Protege
Weekend sales: Steam 30% discount - 44 sold. Oculus 50% discount - 1 sold. The difference? DISCOVERABILITY!
Now evaluating if it is worthwhile to be on this store what with the added time of making an exclusive build every time I push an update.

pekayatt
Expert Protege
Looks like this Maria was a a sight for sore eyes, hope more people get noticed.

One think that I never understood is how a game like Overtake ( a drive car game) that is in the Top Selling list is considered a Gallery App. It looks like they were even invited to some bundles for promotions. I would love if someone explain that for me. Could it be that not event to be in the Top Selling will drive downloads enough for you game to be in the main store?

Or it is just a matter that they don't put that much weight on downloads?

Just had a breakthrough in our game, when finishing the port for Oculus Rift. But, I am not sure if this new shader will work on Gear, maybe if I go to OpenGL 3.1, but they say it is not supported yet :/. Will keep you guys updated 😉 

SergioGardella
Explorer
Hi @pekayatt any news? Our game was also listed in the Gallery Apps. Once they said it was because of gameplay issues (which I assume it is something like they do not have even taken the time to analyze the game), the next time the mail was something more close to if this is the normal procedure and then they track your performance which is ridiculous. First of all this is not stated in the documentation and then it is extremely hard to get any user attraction being listed in a category that every user understands as underrated games. Why would anyone pay a game that Oculus states as "A broad, less-filtered collection from VR creators."? By the way this is not true, we have passed all the test but discriminated to the Gallery Apps category.