Anisotropic filtering with Unreal on GearVR? How? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Anisotropic filtering with Unreal on GearVR? How?

Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 63
Hiro Protagonist
On this page it says regarding texture filtering:
  • Texture Filtering: Trilinear filtering is often a good idea for VR. It does have a performance cost, but it is worth it. Anisotropic filtering may be used as well, but keep it to a single anisotropic texture lookup per fragment.
Also according to this blog post anisotropic texture filtering is not supported on the S6.
My question is, how do I make sure that the game uses anisotropic filtering and how can I pick which textures use bilineal, which ones use trilinear and which ones use anisotropic (on compatible devices)?

Thanks!

Answers

• Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi imperativity,
    didn't really have time to check this until now. As far as I understand it, anisotropic filtering is a scalability setting. The filtering type is specified in the texture group settings. However, anisotropic filtering is already set as a default. What puzzles me is that I still see bilinear filtering when playing on GearVR.
    Any idea how to force the Anisotropic x2 on mobile?
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    @Norman3D

Not directly related to your query, but let me know how your use of anisotropic filtering affects the image quality & performance of your project. I've been refreshing myself on the topic, and it seems like AF is a must-have for any large, open environments with long, relatively flat surfaces (floors & walls).
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
  • Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Norman3D

Not directly related to your query, but let me know how your use of anisotropic filtering affects the image quality & performance of your project. I've been refreshing myself on the topic, and it seems like AF is a must-have for any large, open environments with long, relatively flat surfaces (floors & walls).
    Will do! So far I’ve not been able to find anyone who has even tried to use it with Unreal and I can’t seem to get it to work for the life of me!