cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anisotropic filtering with Unreal on GearVR? How?

Norman3D
Expert Protege
On this page it says regarding texture filtering:
  • Texture Filtering: Trilinear filtering is often a good idea for VR. It does have a performance cost, but it is worth it. Anisotropic filtering may be used as well, but keep it to a single anisotropic texture lookup per fragment.
Also according to this blog post anisotropic texture filtering is not supported on the S6.
My question is, how do I make sure that the game uses anisotropic filtering and how can I pick which textures use bilineal, which ones use trilinear and which ones use anisotropic (on compatible devices)?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Norman3D
Expert Protege

Hi imperativity,
didn't really have time to check this until now. As far as I understand it, anisotropic filtering is a scalability setting. The filtering type is specified in the texture group settings. However, anisotropic filtering is already set as a default. What puzzles me is that I still see bilinear filtering when playing on GearVR.
Any idea how to force the Anisotropic x2 on mobile?

firagabird
Adventurer
@Norman3D

Not directly related to your query, but let me know how your use of anisotropic filtering affects the image quality & performance of your project. I've been refreshing myself on the topic, and it seems like AF is a must-have for any large, open environments with long, relatively flat surfaces (floors & walls).

Norman3D
Expert Protege

@Norman3D

Not directly related to your query, but let me know how your use of anisotropic filtering affects the image quality & performance of your project. I've been refreshing myself on the topic, and it seems like AF is a must-have for any large, open environments with long, relatively flat surfaces (floors & walls).

Will do! So far I’ve not been able to find anyone who has even tried to use it with Unreal and I can’t seem to get it to work for the life of me!