cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did they come up with 'Santa Cruz'? Is it advancing? Will it be the Rift CV2? ;~)

Woody3D
Expert Protege

My plan for Oculus ,.. Ahem,..  ;~)

Charge $199 for Go! 
$299 for Cruz 
and $499 for RIFT CV2 (With inside out tracking. Two 4.5" wide, Quad-HD screens and 200 degree FOV 😉 

Done. Make it so!
;")   I want my Rift CV2!
2 REPLIES 2

deftware
Expert Protege
A self-contained VR setup is the ultimate goal. There's going to be a much larger market for standalone devices than ones that require external computing power. Most people do not want to be wired up to something, or be required to own something they can be wired up to.

Case in point: I was not particularly excited about VR, as both a developer or a consumer, for a long time. Neither the Rift or the Gear VR were appealing to me as I do not want to shell out a bunch of money for both PC upgrades and a headset. I also do not wish to get an expensive phone. I use a cheap pay-as-you-go flip phone because I don't talk or text anybody but my wife and mother as needed, and I spend most of the day working from a computer, so it's pointless to have a computer in my pocket, let alone an expensive phone plan to go along with it that I'd never use, just to get a phone so I can use it with the Gear VR. It would be the most convoluted way possible to get into VR for me.

However, with the advent of the Go I have finally had my interest piqued, even with 3DOF limitation it still will offer users that VR sense of presence that is pure magic. The Santa Cruz is ultimately what I'm looking forward to, almost exclusively because of 6DOF controllers for which I have many ideas I want to develop, and both of these devices will be what cements VR into the mainstream consumer's life.

These are things that will make VR more accessible to the masses, which attracts potential developers (like myself) who want to explore the possibilities with creating interesting and novel VR experiences. The more developers there are the more interesting content there will be, which will attract more consumers of content.

I was actually super bummed for a while when Carmack started pursuing VR on mobile phones. I saw it as a huge step backwards, but I was missing the point. Mobile AIO VR is far and away going to end up being the larger market and also be the most appealing and enjoyable way to experience VR. The mobile phone based VR HMDs were a stepping stone toward the AIO HMDs. Standalone VR HMDs will drive mobile technology advancement in ways phones never will. We will see very powerful computing power strapped to people's heads very quickly after VR explodes in 2018 thanks to the Go and Santa Cruz.

Fredrum
Expert Protege

I love PC VR and don't like mobile VR at all but that's because mobile vr so far has had no positional tracking and no motion controlled(positional) controllers.
Santa Cruz solves both of those and if they manage to keep the prize low I think it is going to be a great thing!
Price is probably the biggest barrier to VR adoption and this could be a great option for those not interested in getting PC boxes.
Also it lets Oculus spend resource towards technology useful in AR, such as the inside out tracking.