Development on MacOS High Sierra — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Development on MacOS High Sierra

delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
Nexus 6
edited October 2017 in Unity Development
I recently updated to MacOS High Sierra, and now I'm getting lots of errors trying to run a gearvr app in Unity. I'm using the latest Utilities / OVRPlatform plugins.
Couldn't open Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin,
error: dlopen(Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 
2): Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
  Referenced from: /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib    in /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

Couldn't open /Users/#####/Development/Projects/#####/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin,
error: dlopen(/Users/#####/Development/Projects/#####/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2):
Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
  Referenced from: /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    in /Users/#####/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

More info posted in this thread from someone else. https://forum.unity.com/threads/couldnt-open-macos-ovrplugin-in-a-blank-project.498378/

Comments

• alobalossalobaloss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 2017
  • delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Thanks. Let me know if you need any additional information from me.
  • sethwkleinsethwklein Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I'm having this problem as well. Same High Sierra, same error message. As the error message implies, I've installed (and reinstalled) `oculus_runtime_sdk_0.5.0.1_osx.dmg`.
    Couldn't open /Users/sk/driftspace-big/editor/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.19.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, error: dlopen(/Users/sk/driftspace-big/editor/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.19.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2): Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
    Referenced from: /Users/sk/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
    in /Users/sk/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

• SoundmartellSoundmartell Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Hello, 
    I am having the same problem.
    Any news about it?
    Regards.
    Nexus 6
    So basically you are saying that supporting GearVR builds on a mac is not a priority?
  • mbzdmvpmbzdmvp Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is absurd. Apple changes one function to private in High Sierra and instead of fixing it your response is "There is no support for newer Mac OS releases currently." Ignoring every Gear VR developer using OS X.

Great job Oculus.
    VR Jam 2015: Inside The Human Body
    Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23266
    V29IR5T.png
    Nexus 6
    You guys understand that we aren't asking to be able to run a VR application with a DK1/2 on a mac, like we could way back when. Or even to have support like Vive/SteamVR with the latest Macs.

We just want to be able to hit Play in the Unity editor without the editor blowing up when a call to an OVR run-time function is made. You guys can literally just have every library function return null or some default data if the run-time can't be found - we just need your code to handle thrown exceptions when OVRManager can't access the run-time library so that it doesn't kill the entire function stack.
  • mbzdmvpmbzdmvp Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    You guys understand that we aren't asking to be able to run a VR application with a DK1/2 on a mac, like we could way back when. Or even to have support like Vive/SteamVR with the latest Macs.

We just want to be able to hit Play in the Unity editor without the editor blowing up when a call to an OVR run-time function is made. You guys can literally just have every library function return null or some default data if the run-time can't be found - we just need your code to handle thrown exceptions when OVRManager can't access the run-time library so that it doesn't kill the entire function stack.
    Exactly this. It's ridiculous that we should have to add preprocessor directives just to prevent tons of errors at runtime.
    VR Jam 2015: Inside The Human Body
    Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23266
    V29IR5T.png
  • ichitakaichitaka Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yeah any updates on this? If there is no change of thought, i would need to switch to the daydream platform. I'm not satisfied with this situation  :'(
  • joaquinjoaquin Posts: 33 Oculus Start Member
    Same issue here with Unity 2017.2.0p2 on High Sierra

Couldn't open Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.21.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, error: dlopen(Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.21.0/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2): Symbol not found: __dyld_get_all_image_infos
      Referenced from: /Users/xxx/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0
     in /Users/xxx/Library/Frameworks/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0

• joaquinjoaquin Posts: 33 Oculus Start Member
    @imperativity : If you could tell the developers of the ovrplugin to find "get_all_image_infos" in their code and to fix the issue. I shouldn't take them more 1 hour to fix the problem and test the solution. This will help so many people...
  • hassankhassank Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    @imperativity I just want to make sure I understand the issue correctly since I'm currently trying to develop a GearVR app on Mac. I cannot run the app in the editor or on my Note 5 - should I switch to developing on a PC?

My issue is the same as @delphinius81: I see missing DLLs in the editor and on my Android build.
    Nexus 6
    Yup. You even cannot do gearvr only development on a mac. Everything requires a PC now, including building apks. Your only option to continue development on a mac is to downgrade to Sierra (or just never update to High Sierra).
  • dajo360dajo360 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Dear Oculus,
    Could you please fix this feature? I use the DK2 professional on the film set in combination with the Nokia OZO.
    Currently, I can not have a live view in the HMD due to the missing update from your side. 

I've got one Mac Pro for studio use, that is still alright. But two Mac Pro's are updated to High Sierra, and it are the laptops that are now of no use on the film set. So with filming in the field, I have a serious problem. 
  • ClimberfxClimberfx Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Hello Oculus. I still on Oculus DK1, and was great using it to develop VR architecture project, until i upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra. Then i got the same error message from this other users. So, i'm asking if you are still on ignoring us OSX Users, or if i will need to go back to El Capitan to use it again. Thank you!
  • ClimberfxClimberfx Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Thank you for the fast response. So i will try this beta version, because i was using the previous non beta one (5.0.1 too). If it won't work too, i will go back to El Capitan for now. There it still work. I know my DK1 is super old, but i hope that it is not ignored when Oculus resolve to come back their eyes to us OSX users. Thank you again.
  • lrbisololrbisolo Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited August 2018
    Almost one year later and we still have no support. Seems like the better solution is to install Windows 10 on our Apple computers to develop to Oculus devices, because this is officially supported by Apple's Boot Camp and works great
  • owlboyowlboy Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2018
    Holy crap really?! Does this effect Oculus Go?