cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Design with Left Handed Considerations?

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Hi All

I need some advice.

I am in the middle of building my game, I guess due to the fact I am right handed my placement of items to pick up and place always tends to be on the right

Is it worth offering the option to select left or right handed and then moving all the pickup objects to the left or right accordingly? I'm unsure if this would offer any advantage or if it even matters.

Right Handed Placement (as it is now)
wp3331e5quqc.png

Potential Left handed placement
xuvs8s5fndtj.png

Thanks in advance
Mike
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a developer you should try to be as inclusive to potential customers as possible without of course sacrificing the enjoyment of the game. The best way for you to test how this may affect a lefty would be to mirror your game and try to play it. If you encounter problems then those problems exist for a left handed player playing your current right handed setup. In the end it comes down to can you do it and will you do it to please those potential customers. Or you could try to neutralize any handedness problems by neutral positioning. OR you think about some extra control design, take the game "I expect you to die" it uses a telekinesis power to mitigate any potential reach issues.

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Valid points. I have tried it left handed and it definitely isn't difficult but required more reaching across the body which felt more awkward. I'm not sure that a lefty would struggle to use the right hand as the touch controllers for grabbing is quite a natural process I think I'll have to get a lefty to give it a try and see how it fits.

Thanks for the reply.

Kdragos
Protege
As a lefty, I always welcome the option to have everything reversed for me. I don't always use it, because I do a lot of things right handed. But it's always nice when given the choice. 🙂