cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize, why?

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
Ok so i downloaded Unity 2017.4.0f1
I also got the latest Oculus Utilities.

And when i press play this are the messages i get

Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize.
Attempting to enable OpenVR instead.

XR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!

Virtual Reality SDK OpenVR failed to initialize.
Attempting to enable None instead.

Unity v2017.4.0f1, Oculus Utilities v1.24.0, OVRPlugin v1.24.0, SDK v0.0.0.
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
OVRManager:Awake() (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:904)

I don't know why i get that. In My Player Settings  /XR Settings  I have Virtual Reality Supported checked and then listed are the Oculus  with an arrow pointing to it and then below that OpenVR.

And i intend to build for the RIft.
This process worked fine back in Unity 5 when i tried it. But what should i do to make it work in Unity 2017.4?

28 REPLIES 28

markhansaven
Explorer
Same thing here. Just installed on a brand new third computer running windows 10 home. 

Oculus Utilities was not installed. I tried the latest Unity version 2017.4. VR is broken in Unity completely.

AndreyBlueGoji
Honored Guest
Same thing in Unity 2017.4.0f1. Installed Unity 2017.3.1p4, there is a exactly same trouble.

Any solved this?

markhansaven
Explorer

Same thing in Unity 2017.4.0f1. Installed Unity 2017.3.1p4, there is a exactly same trouble.

Any solved this?

There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement of this. Unity is supposed to work out of the box with virtual reality, and as of right now it's broken on all three of my computers with a fresh install on each one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here!

philip_prins_
Honored Guest
Same Problem
Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize.

Antimon
Explorer
May 14th, 2018, this issue still seems not to be solved for me as well. Is there any update?

rikkcarey
Explorer
NOTE: I am currently building on a Mac with Target=Windows. Is this even possible?

Same issue for me. Clean install of Unity 2018.1.1f1. I carefully followed all directions on Oculus developers site, installed latest Oculus Utilities 1.26.0, Player Settings: Virtual Reality enabled and XR Settings:SDK=Oculus VR. I created new project, a new scene, created a cube, and clicked Run
==> "Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize."

Prana_Studios
Honored Guest
Hi, Im having the same issue. Confirmed that I have the Oculus Runtime running,

Other things I have already checked:
  • Everything is updated to the latest version
  • Ive tried the #if UNITY_EDITOR fix, but the XRSettings.enabled flag goes back to false.
If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

yarwad
Explorer
Why isn't there more attention given to this issue?  I'm dealing with the same thing and it seems like there's no answer.