Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

CoffeeODCoffeeOD Posts: 22 Oculus Start Member
edited June 2018 in Oculus Go Development
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

Comments

• tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2018
    Yes I have absolutely run into this. Not just in my own development  but in other published games from the Store. 

Unless it can be fixed in a firmware or software update it basically makes the touch pad useless except for "swiping" inputs.  I really hope it can be addressed with an update of some kind..

I've shown this video where it just sometimes gets in a state where it won't register touches in the upper quadrant and returns (0,0) despite touching there even with considerable pressure.  At about 1:15 and on I'm making full circles on the touchpad with my thumb and yet you'll see the visualized dot will almost never register anywhere in the top quadrant. 

This issue 'magically' goes from working to not working and back again.  The touchpad input just does not seem reliable at all.   I don't know if it's static electricity or perhaps dry skin or what exactly causes the issue.  

• SlinSlin Posts: 50 Oculus Start Member
    I've been trying to use the touchpad for moving the camera and after a while of moving forward it suddenly stops working for that direction... So far I blamed the rotation of that input vector with the controller rotation, but if you are having the same issue I suppose it really is the touchpad :(
  • Swamp7hingSwamp7hing Posts: 37 Oculus Start Member
    This is absolutely an issue and I have experienced it while developing in Unity and also in other applications already on the store. It seems like a software problem and not a hardware problem but I could be wrong – unreliable controls are not part of a good VR experience, Oculus should look into this ASAP.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,449 Oculus Start Member
    @CoffeeOD

If you report bugs in the link you posted, chances for Oculus responding are very slim. Try Contact menu where you directly send bug report to Oculus using a "form".

@NinjaGaijin Could you please pass this issue on to the Go team ?
  • CoffeeODCoffeeOD Posts: 22 Oculus Start Member
    motorsep said:
    @CoffeeOD

If you report bugs in the link you posted, chances for Oculus responding are very slim. Try Contact menu where you directly send bug report to Oculus using a "form".

@NinjaGaijin Could you please pass this issue on to the Go team ?
    @motorsep This topic is more about discussing touchpad issues and hopefully providing more point of views for anyone (including Oculus staff) that might be interested in this issue. Bug report was send by someone else but contains great information for those who are not familiar with topic subject. If someone were to report bug, I agree contacting directly would be best method.
    @imperativity Do these lower level issues mean there is a possible firmware fix incoming or is the fix impossible and will the touchpad continue periodically reporting incorrect zero values?
    Bumping this thread as I am still experiencing the issue; it is especially visible in games such as Dreadhalls where you cannot actually move forward as the Go controller requires you to hold up on the pad, and unfortunately that direction isn't working 99% of the time.
    @imperativity

Originally it's been said that Oculus Go controller will be identical, functionally, to Gear VR. Now it appears that it is not, we either need a way to verify (in Blueprints in UE4) whether user is on Go or on Gear VR to adjust control scheme automatically (this isn't desirable as my game needs the same functionality for controller as on Gear VR) or we need for Oculus to roll out firmware update to fix the issue.

Could you please find out the course of action Oculus is going to take with this issue and an ETA on the solution ? Thanks beforehand
  • RuptureGamesRuptureGames Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Has this issue been resolved?  I'm downloading the oculus go example scenes now but don't want to wait.  From what it sounds like we can't use the touchpad as a directional input?  Is this correct?  
    Has this issue been resolved?  I'm downloading the oculus go example scenes now but don't want to wait.  From what it sounds like we can't use the touchpad as a directional input?  Is this correct?  
    I doubt it's been resolved. Kinda odd to see that it hasn't been resolved, considering Go launched a while back.
  • HalfspacerHalfspacer Posts: 81 Oculus Start Member
    Any news on this? :-)
    @imperativity

By chance, are there any news about fixing the issue ? Thanks
    @imperativity

Awesome news, thank you! Any ETA on the upcoming update? (days, weeks, month)
    @imperativity any idea when 3.47 will be pushed to the Go?
    Great, thank you for addressing this issue!!
    @imperativity

Where can I check the current version?
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 168
    Art3mis

In Oculus Home, go to the Settings screen and select the Version tab. The first number is what you're looking for.
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
    3.47.... Mine is still 3.42  :open_mouth:

Sounds like either somehow my Go is severely outdated and doesn't want to get updates, or it means we are not getting controller fix until late 2019, which is when Santa Cruz comes out (hopefully) and people who want to play games will get that instead of Go, which will make Go essentially obsolete for gaming and this fix will be irrelevant.
    @motorsep

The version number has nothing to do with release date / time frame. For all we know, next update to be pushed to the Go might as well be the 3.47 one. 
    @Tolin93

I sure hope so, but usually they come in order..
    Fingers crossed this update is pushed soon as this seems like a critical issue with the control scheme and it is definitely not encouraging use of my Go at the moment. 
  • TheMassonTheMasson Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    @imperativity 3.45 didn’t fix this. When is 3.47 arriving?
    doesnt seem like this issue was resolved in 3.47; I am still experiencing a loss of reliable touchpad input on the top half of the touch pad, seemingly at random but more often after consistent use of the touchpad. this occurs on two Go devices I use, both in the menus and inside applications.
    doesnt seem like this issue was resolved in 3.47; I am still experiencing a loss of reliable touchpad input on the top half of the touch pad, seemingly at random but more often after consistent use of the touchpad. this occurs on two Go devices I use, both in the menus and inside applications.
    Where/when did you get 3.47 ? I am still with 3.45 and I heard 3.47 was scheduled for September.

@imperativity Do you happen to know if 3.47 was already rolled out and if it included the fix ?
    @imperativity

Just wondering if there is a decision for this issue or if it's one of those things like GLES3 and related issues that are well known, but won't be fixed (because I assume Go isn't really a gaming HMD and Oculus is more focused on Santa Cruz, since that's gaming HMD).
    I would really love to see this either fixed or confirmed as something that won't be fixed so we know if it's worth hanging in there or if we should pivot and work on alternative input solutions. 
    @imperativity

Just wondering where Oculus stands on this issue.. Thanks beforehand
  • BrokkolusBrokkolus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    A question of prioritization? Oculus releases it's third VR headset and it's controller's touchpad does not function anything near acceptable! thats ridiculous. I have created a game for Google's Daydream platform and was thinking about porting it for the Go but it is useless with that hell of a buggy touchpad.
    I don't know if this helps anyone, but for my game I decided to use click + touch vector for linear movement, with the touch vector checking for presses 0.5f to the right, -0.5f to the left and -0.65 down. Then if none of those are detected but the trackpad is still clicked - I assume that's a forward click. 
    It's not the best of solutions, since you can still click on the edges of the touchpad and get a click but not a touch input - But at least that's workable as opposed to the forward direction just randomly not working. 
    Of course this makes the touchpad more of a D-pad; But it's working fine as movement input. Thought I'd share. 
    Still doesn't solve the fact that the touchpad is pretty much useless of anything like vertical swiping etc. Or situations where you want to use the touch input without clicking. 
  • jonnystrong1jonnystrong1 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Tolin93 said:
    I don't know if this helps anyone, but for my game I decided to use click + touch vector for linear movement, with the touch vector checking for presses 0.5f to the right, -0.5f to the left and -0.65 down. Then if none of those are detected but the trackpad is still clicked - I assume that's a forward click. 
    It's not the best of solutions, since you can still click on the edges of the touchpad and get a click but not a touch input - But at least that's workable as opposed to the forward direction just randomly not working. 
    Of course this makes the touchpad more of a D-pad; But it's working fine as movement input. Thought I'd share. 
    Still doesn't solve the fact that the touchpad is pretty much useless of anything like vertical swiping etc. Or situations where you want to use the touch input without clicking. 
    I thought of that as well but am using the touch pad click for a jump function. 

You figure something as basic as this would work. I notice if you wet your finger a bit the response is better, and re centering the controller seems to work.

Seems i will have to tell the users of my game to stop and recenter the controller if they cant move forward. Hope that doesn't happen at a critical point.