cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable all tracking?

sea52020
Honored Guest
Hi,
I've spend couple days trying to find a way to disable all tracking from the HMD(so extend display mode?), but could not get a working method so far. By all tracking i mean both position and rotation, where position is simple, current SDK provide that toggle directly.
I'm using Unity 5.4.0f1 as of today, and testing on both DK2 and CV1.

So far I've tried every method I could find via google and forums, nothing seem to work including tricks like "zero out" rotations each frame.
Using Unity's build-in camera system does not seem to allow any control of camera at all, and the OVR camera rig does not provide such function directly. I also tried the timewarp methods and it's not/no longer working.
For now I'm going to take a deeper look at the camera rig and see if i could come up with something.

Researched on this for days and saw all methods were for 0.6 and earlier, or everyone turned to argue about the "uncomfortable experience" by disabling the tracking, which is out of the scope in my situation.

For those of whom interested in providing evidence of "uncomfortable experience", I want to achieve this because I'm using external tracking system, which provides better information than the HMD's.
Having both the HMD and external tracking system makes the rotation "doubled".

I'm not sure if i should post this in Oculus forum or Unity's, so maybe I'd to create a duplication over there later today if it remains unanswered..

Thank you and everyone in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

PARTYW00T
Explorer

speeder84 said:

I'm tracking all this info for kind of similar applications, reading documentation about quaternion, if someone could explain with a sample i'd be incredibly helpful to make it a clear and fast way =). Regards

EDIT: I made it and it was pretty easy, just the fact of being newbie with Unity makes it a little bit hard. DisableTracking.cs works correctly, and to make the camera a child of another object just take it in the hierarchy window and drag it to the object, as simple like that. Thanks cybereality

I need your help. I'm trying to do exactly what you describe, as a consumer.

I want to disable tracking on the hmd, and either link the camera to a tracked object a-la third controller for mixed reality filming or link it to positional data from driver4vr and rotational data from riftcat.

could I make this happen with no experience freaking with unity?

PARTYW00T
Explorer

speeder84 said:

I'm tracking all this info for kind of similar applications, reading documentation about quaternion, if someone could explain with a sample i'd be incredibly helpful to make it a clear and fast way =). Regards

EDIT: I made it and it was pretty easy, just the fact of being newbie with Unity makes it a little bit hard. DisableTracking.cs works correctly, and to make the camera a child of another object just take it in the hierarchy window and drag it to the object, as simple like that. Thanks cybereality

I need your help. I'm trying to do exactly what you describe, as a consumer.

I want to disable tracking on the hmd, and either link the camera to a tracked object a-la third controller for mixed reality filming or link it to positional data from driver4vr and rotational data from riftcat.

could I make this happen with no experience freaking with unity?

VizualStudio
Honored Guest
And a plus one for this from me for disabling the rotation\orientation tracking.

I have spent far too long trying to resolve this.  The disparaging looks from the wife are now turning into comments of "are you still doing that!?"

I have gone through the scripts and have been commenting out\changing references to rotation from true to false and still the orientation data is getting through to Unity.  As an aside, it does make we wonder how much functionality is supplied by these scripts.
The script files I have been looking at are OVRManager.cs, OVRCameraRig.cs, and OVRPlayerController.cs

For the sake of  my marriage, can someone please help me?...

MaciejC
Explorer
I am working with another tracking system as well and I also couldn't figure out how to disable the original rotation tracking unfortunately, so I let it go. I just offset the rotation at the beginning to keep the heading aligned to my master tracking system. Every 5 sec I compare the rotations and if the error is too big I slowly correct the offset.