cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Avatars on Vive/WMR

morfaine
Honored Guest
I like the Oculus Avatars and would like to use them for my Oculus users but I don't want to limit my applications to Oculus devices.

I understand the Avatars are now intended to be cross-platform but I can't find any information on how you would implement Avatars for a Vive HMD and controllers. The Avatar SDK has utilities for hooking up the Touch controllers to the Avatar hand models. Is there any advice/libraries/tutorials anyone has about utilising the Avatar SDK to hook the hand models into other VR input devices? or a similar library or set of tools? or am I stuck working with the raw models?

10 REPLIES 10

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hey there. Cross platform isn’t quite out the door yet, but we’re working on it and glad to see you’re interested. We’ll be sharing more on this soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ross_Beef said:

Hey there. Cross platform isn’t quite out the door yet, but we’re working on it and glad to see you’re interested. We’ll be sharing more on this soon.

Does this apply to the Platform Services too ? Like eg P2P, Room/Invite, Voip etc functionality outside of the oculus world ?
This would give those services a tremendous boost, to be able to invite eg NonVR users to Avatar/Voip sessions ( they of course would have to join in a lame, nonVR environments on their tablets, desktops etc... ). This is especially interesting for mobile( tablet and phone ) space.  This might provide some hooke to lure them into VR finally ...
Or is crossplatform in that regard only meant to be VR Cross platform ... ?

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
No, it will be for Avatars only.

Oculus Platform is Oculus Platform.

morfaine
Honored Guest
> Cross platform isn’t quite out the door yet, but we’re working on it

Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard anything for sometime so wasn't sure if it had been released unknown to me or was still being worked on at all. I look forward to hearing more.

marineverse
Protege
Really looking forward to Avatar SDK support on other platforms as well! 

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hi @marineverse and @morfaine  - wanted to update this thread to share that we've landed license and support for PC cross platform avatars, meaning you can use the SDK beyond the oculus platform.

It's early days, but the intention is that for now you can at least allow Oculus users to have their avatar in a shared environment with a non-Oculus user (e.g. show up on a game that is cross platform). 

We've provided 12 'default' avatars (gamut of outfits, shin tones and gender) which can be utilized as a default selection for Non-Oculus users, for now. Ultimately, though, we're working out how to allow non-Oculus users more ability to personalize something, and allow developers more ability to change up the avatars in-app. So stay tuned 🙂

morfaine
Honored Guest
Thanks for the heads up @Ross_Beef
Will start investigating.

marineverse
Protege
Great, thank you!

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Hello @Ross_Beef , are the 12 avatars Will Also be avalaible for ue4 ?