cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run / debug a build from Unity to Oculus Go live over USB?

mosesoak
Explorer
I've gotten the procedure outlined in the docs working: make a build from Unity, install it using adb, open it on the Oculus Go headset. It works!

However, that's a prohibitively slow workflow. I need a way to press Run in Unity and see the app launch in the headset, like I can using a non-mobile VR platform.

If that's not currently possible, how is one supposed to develop apps for the Go? Is there some way to simulate the VR environment within Unity without using a headset? Or, should I develop using a full Oculus or Vive and then convert it for mobile as a final step? I don't feel it will be practical to have to make and transfer a build and navigate the menu system every time just to try my latest changes.

Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

mosesoak
Explorer
@imperativity Thanks for the reply. I'm new to Go development and hadn't discovered that you can do Build & Run from Unity. (Not sure if the docs mention that point, I found it from a Gear VR source.)

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity would you mind expanding on your comment above or linking some documentation on how to use this feature? I can't seem to find anything on Gear VR emulation for the Rift.

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity That's awesome to know. Thanks for the info!

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity would you mind expanding on your comment above our linking some documentation on how to use this feature? I can't seem to find anything on Gear VR emulation for the Rift.

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity That's awesome. Thanks for the info!

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity would you mind expanding on your comment above our linking some documentation on how to use this feature? I can't seem to find anything on Gear VR emulation for the Rift.

adam_gray_397
Explorer
@imperativity That's awesome. Thanks for the info!

HeyBishop
Protege
@imperativity, is there any intention to one day emulate directly on the Go like you can with the Daydream? I don't have the Rift, nor will I afford it anytime soon. 
I'm considering bailing on developing for Oculus because it's so much harder without the ability to preview.

HeyBishop
Protege

@HeyBishop

There is intent on our end but not anything that will happen near term. This is a conversation I've been driving internally for some time.

I'm really pleased to hear it.
Thank you for your swift response!