cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Go / Gear VR] Are UE 4.20 updates relevant to mobile VR ?

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

4.20 preview 1 is out and it has some interesting goodies: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1485599-unreal-engine-4-20-preview

I am wondering if any of those goodies relevant to Go / Gear VR (GLES2 and Vulkan in the nearest future):

Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support. We’ve taken the improvements to the Instance Stereo Rendering (ISR) path that we made for Robo Recall, and improved them to work across a more robust set of features in the engine. 4.20 adds support for performing the translucency rendering pass using ISR, which can significantly reduce CPU cost on translucency-heavy scenes

Mobile Updates:
  • All of the mobile improvements and optimizations we’ve made for Fortnite on iOS and Android
    • Improved Android Debugging
    • Mobile Landscape Improvements
    • RHO Thread on Android
    • Occlusion Queries on Mobile
    • Software Occlusion Culling
    • Platform Material Stats
    • Improve Mobile Specular Lighting Model

43 REPLIES 43

voobrazhenie
Honored Guest
Hey! I found one critical issue in unreal engine 4.20.0 and 4.20.1. Gear VR touch input is disabled. After bug report to ue, they approved and created a bug - https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62251. Hope it will be fixed in 4.20.2. Vote for bug if you can. 

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Voted...Thanks @voobrazhenie

motorsep
Rising Star

Hey! I found one critical issue in unreal engine 4.20.0 and 4.20.1. Gear VR touch input is disabled. After bug report to ue, they approved and created a bug - https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62251. Hope it will be fixed in 4.20.2. Vote for bug if you can. 

motorsep
Rising Star
I hate this forum software - once I accidentally hit Tab and cursor goes into quoted field, I can't get it out and type my reply 😕 Sorry about post with quote but no reply.

@voobrazhenie Here is what I wanted to say - it's worth sending a bug report to Oculus directly, because Epic might have a target fix for 4.99 (as there is no Gear VR support in Fortnite BR) and I am sure we all need it to be fixed in 4.20.2  😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually this is by design by Oculus I think in the new Oculus SDK version? There are new nodes for the GearVR touchpad:

Once I switched to using these everything worked as expected again

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

@imperativity

4.20 preview 1 is out and it has some interesting goodies: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1485599-unreal-engine-4-20-preview

I am wondering if any of those goodies relevant to Go / Gear VR (GLES2 and Vulkan in the nearest future):

Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support. We’ve taken the improvements to the Instance Stereo Rendering (ISR) path that we made for Robo Recall, and improved them to work across a more robust set of features in the engine. 4.20 adds support for performing the translucency rendering pass using ISR, which can significantly reduce CPU cost on translucency-heavy scenes

Mobile Updates:
  • All of the mobile improvements and optimizations we’ve made for Fortnite on iOS and Android
    • Improved Android Debugging
    • Mobile Landscape Improvements
    • RHO Thread on Android
    • Occlusion Queries on Mobile
    • Software Occlusion Culling
    • Platform Material Stats
    • Improve Mobile Specular Lighting Model

I tested some of this stuff out and it's really great! I've several projects that have specular and it looks so much better now. The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Did anyone create a bug for Epic to fix occlusion with multi-view yet?

motorsep
Rising Star

The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Can't speak for the rest, but I haven't submitted anything since I haven't had a chance to test ES3.1 (it used to not work for me on Gear VR using S6).

If I were you, I'd submit it to both Epic and Oculus. I can't imagine running mobile VR games without multiview.

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Can't speak for the rest, but I haven't submitted anything since I haven't had a chance to test ES3.1 (it used to not work for me on Gear VR using S6).

If I were you, I'd submit it to both Epic and Oculus. I can't imagine running mobile VR games without multiview.

Bug ticket for Epic is public here:

Please vote guys! 😉 I think it's an Epic issue not Oculus since the same occurs on Daydream.

FYI @motorsep : Did you try ES3.1 with 4.19 on your device to see if that works? My last tests with ES3.1 from 4.19 have it finally working for my projects at least

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

^^ we have a breach here  :#

Cykyria
Explorer
So I tried the 4.20 Oculus Github fork today and this is still happening. Was that fixed and I need to change some settings, or do we have to wait for 4.21?