cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Motion controller buttons mapping in 4.19 ?

motorsep
Rising Star
I am updating my project to 4.19 and I am having difficulties with mapping touchpad correctly.

Currently I am using MotionController (R) Trigger for controller's trigger and MotionController (R) FaceButton 6 for touchpad press (used to use MotionController R Thumbstick). However, those two work identically. So whether I pull the trigger or press down the touchpad (press it as a button, dead in the center), it calls the same function in my BP code. By design though, trigger pull should call one function, and touchpad should call entirely different function.

I followed Epic's official docs, but that don't seem to work as described. Using launcher version of UE 4.19p3. I am using prototype motion controller, not the retail one (although I doubt it's a hardware flaw).

Can someone please help me ?
8 REPLIES 8

motorsep
Rising Star
I've been messing with this issue last night and came to conclusion that for whatever reason button mapping from Epic's docs doesn't work with my motion controller at all. Could be hardware fault (I am using a prototype controller, before it was released to the public) or could be that launcher version is missing something, or 4.19 is different than 4.17 (which is what the docs for I believe).

So none of the MotionController FaceButton buttons work. Instead, MotionController Thumbstick Up/Down/Left/Right work. The major issue with that (again, could be the hardware issue) is that I have to press those directions quite precisely for them to work.

I opted out for MotionController Thumbstick X/Y which works as touch on the motion controller's touchpad, but I haven't finished implementing this scheme.

I sure hope Oculus Go support isn't as bad as Gear VR support in UE4 😕

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

I dug deeper and this is what works for me on Gear VR with Motion controller in UE 4.19p4:

Trigger is MotionController (R) Trigger
Touchpad press is  MotionController (R) Thumbstick
Touchpad directions (as if it was a D-Pad) are  MotionController (R) Thumbstick Up/Down/Left/Right

Touching Touchpad returns "Touch1" name. I haven't checked if Touch1 input event works for it.

Also, if touching Touchpad is indeed Touch1 event, then I am not sure how swipes on the Touchpad would work 😕

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity
I was told that Go's controller has no d-pad, so touchpad top/left/right/bottom won't work. Is that correct ?

Magnagroup
Honored Guest
Hi @imperativity  and @motorsep

I am very new to UE4. I am trying to create a player which will move forward with Gear VR motion controller by pressing a trigger button. I read the documentation and imported a Pawn from Gear VR Motion Controller Touchpad Input Example Project to see if it works. It worked and I can see the coordinates of my finger location on the touchpad. However, I couldn't achieve my goal to make the player move forward while pressing the button, as there is no clear example of how to do that. 

Could you please help? It's quite urgent o:) Hope I can benefit from your great experience.

Thanks a mil!

Magnagroup
Honored Guest

I am very new to UE4. I am trying to create a player which will move forward with Gear VR motion controller by pressing a trigger button. I read the documentation and imported a Pawn from Gear VR Motion Controller Touchpad Input Example Project to see if it works. It worked and I can see the coordinates of my finger location on the touchpad. However, I couldn't achieve my goal to make the player move forward while pressing the button, as there is no clear example of how to do that. 

Could you please help? It's quite urgent o:) Hope I can benefit from your great experience.

Thanks a mil!

motorsep
Rising Star

Thanks a mil!

Before anything, just try making a Gear VR project using mobile FPS template in UE4. That's what I did first - got a test project running on Gear VR. From that I kept working my way up until I figure out basic input and then got to the motion controller.

Tbh, you are better off not using Oculus samples as most of those are useless and outdated. Oculus supports Unity very well, but not UE4.

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
At the moment it is not easy for us(UE4 dev) but let's keep a positive  spirit .
 😉 

RuptureGames
Protege
Anyone else noticing that the "back" button on the go controller doesn't stay pressed?  When I look at the firing events for this button it will register pressed but then immediately registers released - before I've actually let go of the button.  Is this intended behavior?