cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

62 REPLIES 62

motorsep
Rising Star
@Tolin93

I sure hope so, but usually they come in order..

Swamp7hing
Protege
Fingers crossed this update is pushed soon as this seems like a critical issue with the control scheme and it is definitely not encouraging use of my Go at the moment. 

TheMasson
Explorer
@imperativity 3.45 didn’t fix this. When is 3.47 arriving?

Swamp7hing
Protege
doesnt seem like this issue was resolved in 3.47; I am still experiencing a loss of reliable touchpad input on the top half of the touch pad, seemingly at random but more often after consistent use of the touchpad. this occurs on two Go devices I use, both in the menus and inside applications.

motorsep
Rising Star

doesnt seem like this issue was resolved in 3.47; I am still experiencing a loss of reliable touchpad input on the top half of the touch pad, seemingly at random but more often after consistent use of the touchpad. this occurs on two Go devices I use, both in the menus and inside applications.

Where/when did you get 3.47 ? I am still with 3.45 and I heard 3.47 was scheduled for September.

@imperativity Do you happen to know if 3.47 was already rolled out and if it included the fix ?

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

Just wondering if there is a decision for this issue or if it's one of those things like GLES3 and related issues that are well known, but won't be fixed (because I assume Go isn't really a gaming HMD and Oculus is more focused on Santa Cruz, since that's gaming HMD).

Halfspacer
Adventurer
I would really love to see this either fixed or confirmed as something that won't be fixed so we know if it's worth hanging in there or if we should pivot and work on alternative input solutions. 

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

Just wondering where Oculus stands on this issue.. Thanks beforehand

Brokkolus
Honored Guest
A question of prioritization? Oculus releases it's third VR headset and it's controller's touchpad does not function anything near acceptable! thats ridiculous. I have created a game for Google's Daydream platform and was thinking about porting it for the Go but it is useless with that hell of a buggy touchpad.

Halfspacer
Adventurer
I don't know if this helps anyone, but for my game I decided to use click + touch vector for linear movement, with the touch vector checking for presses 0.5f to the right, -0.5f to the left and -0.65 down. Then if none of those are detected but the trackpad is still clicked - I assume that's a forward click. 
It's not the best of solutions, since you can still click on the edges of the touchpad and get a click but not a touch input - But at least that's workable as opposed to the forward direction just randomly not working. 
Of course this makes the touchpad more of a D-pad; But it's working fine as movement input. Thought I'd share. 
Still doesn't solve the fact that the touchpad is pretty much useless of anything like vertical swiping etc. Or situations where you want to use the touch input without clicking.