cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Oculus Go] Disable sleep mode or disable "Enter VR" screen

buffalonationsm
Honored Guest

Looking for a way to disable the "Enter VR" screen when the device wakes from sleep (since we don't want visitors using the remote and exiting the running video). Is this possible?

Alternatively I've tried to cover the proximity sensor but the device still goes to sleep in 5 minutes if there's no movement. Can I disable the sleep mode or adjust the time it takes to trigger sleep mode in a config file somewhere?

I am using "Samsumg VR Videos" app with a sideloaded video but I am open to other suggestions to accomplish the goal of a "kiosk mode" that simply loops a video when visitors put on the Go (no button pressing required).

28 REPLIES 28

beepmaster
Honored Guest
Thanks for these tips.
Ok for a user centric experience, but you might think also about a "friend" centric experience. When you got friends who wants to test (and may be buy one later) the Oculus go device ... it s easier to run a YouTube 360 video without sleep mode and just keep playing the video.

Other solutions : Some Apps / players keep playing without sleep mode and allow me to let my friend and family test it. Or I simply keep a finger on the light sensor when moving it from my head.

Be careful about kiosk app not to drain your battery...

I read about a streaming option to Android device in September, may be useful with full control from the Android device about setting the Oculus go for people who just want to test a video witout the Bluetooth joystick ..

hclmed
Explorer
We have to have a way to disable, or at least delay the sleep timer.

This should be available in the user settings as that's a conscious trade off users can make between continuous play and battery conservation.

@imperativity We need these, (>50), to be effortlessly operated in public settings, what many are calling kiosk mode. This is obviously a marketing problem rather than a technical one, so that decision needs to be reviewed. To avoid any unwarranted complaints about battery life, a warning message can be posted at each power up that the recommended 15 second timeout is altered.

hclmed
Explorer
We have to have a way to disable, or at least delay the sleep timer. 

This should be available in the user settings as that's a conscious trade off users can make between continuous play and battery conservation.

@imperativity We need these, (>50), to be effortlessly operated in public settings, what many are calling kiosk mode. This is obviously a marketing problem rather than a technical one, so that decision needs to be reviewed.

To avoid any unwarranted complaints about battery life, a warning message can be posted at each power up that the recommended 15 second timeout is altered.

lindan2
Explorer
Hi @hclmed

I saw a post from the FB 360 video professional group about disabling sleep mode this morning. You can now disable sleep mode. 

jedon_carter
Honored Guest
@lindan2 can you link this? Would like to know how this is done

hclmed
Explorer

lindan2 said:

Hi @hclmed

I saw a post from the FB 360 video professional group about disabling sleep mode this morning. You can now disable sleep mode. 

That's an important, but vague message. Can you give a link, or any clues about where this is?

hclmed
Explorer

hclmed said:

lindan2 said:

There's this recent post from the FB 360 video group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360.video.professionals/permalink/2249953615234879/
about a new viewer which looks very interesting, but doesn't mention anything about disabling sleep.

izzyster
Honored Guest

lindan2 said:

Hi @hclmed

Yes please post link.

JacobRoebuck
Honored Guest
Hey, I was able to turn off sleep mode from the app on my phone. Oculus app > Settings > Your Device > More Settings > Power Settings >Never