cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
How can I get my hands on an oculus quest so I can start developing on it?
22 REPLIES 22

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
@imperativity

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Until they are shipping them (i would like to get my hands on one too btw), in one of the oc5 lectures they said something like: "you can start developing for the quest today. the controls (keymapping) are identical to the rift."
Because it uses a 835 chip, use old school modelling techniques/strategy.

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer

maxBr said:

Until they are shipping them (i would like to get my hands on one too btw), in one of the oc5 lectures they said something like: "you can start developing for the quest today. the controls (keymapping) are identical to the rift."
Because it uses a 835 chip, use old school modelling techniques/strategy.

I watched a video and the chinese guy at OC5 said that a few developers already have dev units and they are creating a lot of games in the next 6 months. I want to be one of them devs that release when it comes out too. i didn't hear anything about the mappings being the same though. I hope @imperativity can give us some in site into how we too can be on the for-front.

BruiseLy
Honored Guest
We are developing a PvP fighting game, that we think will work SOOO well in Quest, so we really want the game to work too, hope we can join (or atlease apply to) the forementioned developer' group too!

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
I want it so i can start building an arena out of boxes and start making a game for pvp as well

andy_czerwinski
Honored Guest
@imperativity As @"wirelitesoft.dev" said even though the controls may be the same as a rift the real power of the quest is the arena scale mapping and game development. For that you need access to the 'oculus insight' and static shared mapping that was demoed at oc5. I'd also be interested in how you could map or track other devices (E.g. guns) and not just the touch controllers. For that you need access to the hardware and sdks

owenwp
Expert Protege
It might be helpful for gameplay design if there were a debug mode for the Rift that emulated the touch tracking volume limitations of the Quest.

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer

owenwp said:

It might be helpful for gameplay design if there were a debug mode for the Rift that emulated the touch tracking volume limitations of the Quest.

I agree but the tracking is done by the tracking cameras on the front of the quest.

owenwp
Expert Protege
That's the point, the software could determine if your hand would be outside of the FOV of those cameras, if the Rift had them, and then have the API respond accordingly. Even if you have a real Quest that would save development time.