cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physics slowdown with framerate?

silentslack
Explorer
Hi,

Developing in Unity 5.4 - I've found that physics calculations slow down relative to the frame rate, is this expected?  There seems to be some other slowdown such as animation of texture sheets.  

When using the Vive the framerate hiccups don't seem to mess with the physics but with Oculus things go all floaty when the framerate dips.  Is there any way to prevent this or is it likely I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

silentslack
Explorer
I have both Oculus & OpenVR added in Player Preferences but using OVRCamera rig and only Unity native VR functions.  If I remove OpenVR from the Player Preferences I still encounter the same problem.

silentslack
Explorer
Just wondering if there is an update on this and whether anyone else has seen the same issue?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
We had an internal team with the same issue. They got around it by setting Time.maximumDeltaTime = 1f. If that doesn't fix it for you, we will have to wait until Unity can root-cause it and provide a fix.

silentslack
Explorer
OK that did it!  I'm guessing there is a bug somewhere but that has solved it for me in the meantime.  Thanks!

Ayfel
Expert Protege
So for some reason I am seeing the Oculus Sdk in Unity changing my fixeddeltatime to crazy values like 0.0024
No idea why, it kicks in randomly (not very often) but it breaks the game basically. Any idea what might be going on?

P.S: Same game with SteamVR sdk not a problem btw