cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android avatars floating at 1.5m

SkyMage
Explorer
I'm running the social starter example between a gear VR and my Unity editor.
Unity v5.6.3f1, Oculus Utilities v1.19.0, OVRPlugin v1.19.0, SDK v1.19.0.

I'm finding that the character running on the PC has no cone of light underneath, and spawns at the position of the trackingspace. The character running on the android build, however, spawns at the same position, but with a base cone. That is, the android character's light cone begins at eye level, and the avatars head is probably 3-4 meters up in the air. It serializes this value, and so appears the same to remote users. 

How do you enable and disable the base cone? can its size be changed? it seems to make my character VERY tall compared a properly scaled human being. Any idea how I might have done this? lol

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is Unity 2017.4.6f1 latest LTS release. Honestly, that is in no way an "older" release.
This is the exact error message ( thrown about a 100 times i guess )
Graphics.CopyTexture with a region will not copy readable texture data for compressed formats (source texture format 50)

But now i'm not sure that it's really the AVatarSDK any longer, as I justed tested again and it seems to throw the error even without a remote avatar in scene, so possibly it comes from the gazepointer texture or similar ...
Initially i suspectedOvrAvatarTextureCopyManager.cs being the bad guy here, but now i have to investigate i bit deeper when i got time... sorry

UPDATE: scratch my previous text. It is definitely the AvatarSDK. Even Oculus Rooms itself throws those Graphics.CopyTexture errors when entering/while loading avatars ....

Manu277
Honored Guest

Ross_Beef said:

Hey all,

Wanted to provide an update. We’re working on landing this as soon as possible, updating the samples and providing documentation to
make this more clearly understood. Targeting the 1.28 SDK release if we can get it in.

High level, there’s a mismatch between the OVRCameraRig setting which we didn’t catch (Floor level vs. Eye level), and will put in a more sensible solution for it.

Thanks for your patience, apologies that this specific thread somehow got through the net (likely during our work to update avatars to the new look and shaders)

Hello Ross,
since yesterday I am having the height problem. When jumping onto VR Y am way too high. I believe there are more people having this problem now. Is there a fix?
Thank you!

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege

spacefrog said:

This is Unity 2017.4.6f1 latest LTS release. Honestly, that is in no way an "older" release.
This is the exact error message ( thrown about a 100 times i guess )
Graphics.CopyTexture with a region will not copy readable texture data for compressed formats (source texture format 50)

But now i'm not sure that it's really the AVatarSDK any longer, as I justed tested again and it seems to throw the error even without a remote avatar in scene, so possibly it comes from the gazepointer texture or similar ...
Initially i suspectedOvrAvatarTextureCopyManager.cs being the bad guy here, but now i have to investigate i bit deeper when i got time... sorry

UPDATE: scratch my previous text. It is definitely the AvatarSDK. Even Oculus Rooms itself throws those Graphics.CopyTexture errors when entering/while loading avatars ....

This is a really annoying bug and should be addressed to cut down on log bloat. It seems that specifically OvrAvatarMaterialManage.ProcessTexturesWithMips() has not been adjusted to accommodate for mobile Avatar SDK, because it's a consequence of setting the project Texture Compression to ASTC for Gear/Go.

Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1

r0b0saru
Expert Protege
I am also seeing both these problems (wrong height for Gear VR Avatar and Log Graphcs.CopyTexture 100s of times). Anyone have a workaround?

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hey folks, following up. We’d previously been informed by our contact at Unity that this was only present in older versions and wouldn’t be an issue going forward, but i’m reopening the issue to get an update.

I will say, we’ve run perf analysis on the texture log issue and it’s benign / won’t impact perf. 

Re. Avatar height — looking into this now. We’d put in a fix previously. Can I confirm whether you’re just seeing this in SocialStarter vs. the Unity sample scenes that come packaged with the SDK itself?

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege

Ross_Beef said:

Hey folks, following up. We’d previously been informed by our contact at Unity that this was only present in older versions and wouldn’t be an issue going forward, but i’m reopening the issue to get an update.

I will say, we’ve run perf analysis on the texture log issue and it’s benign / won’t impact perf.

Great, thanks. I will try a build of my project on the latest 2018.2 and see if that makes a difference.
Performance is not a concern here for me personally, it's that I'm trying to see other Debug messages while Avatars are spawning in and it's very annoying to have to deal with the spam blast of error messages.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
Just tried a build with the latest 2018.2 (2018.2.17f1) and it's still present. Was just trying to determine what Unity means by "older versions" exactly.

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Thanks @cloud_canvas - will follow up when we learn more.

Mosel3y
Explorer
@Ross_Beef
 This problem exists in Unreal, the avatars floating offset from the base on Android.

treeviewstudios
Protege
I solved this by hacking the transform and just adding an offset of 1.65, make it child of a cube and raise it by one meter, the best a could so far.