cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run / debug a build from Unity to Oculus Go live over USB?

mosesoak
Explorer
I've gotten the procedure outlined in the docs working: make a build from Unity, install it using adb, open it on the Oculus Go headset. It works!

However, that's a prohibitively slow workflow. I need a way to press Run in Unity and see the app launch in the headset, like I can using a non-mobile VR platform.

If that's not currently possible, how is one supposed to develop apps for the Go? Is there some way to simulate the VR environment within Unity without using a headset? Or, should I develop using a full Oculus or Vive and then convert it for mobile as a final step? I don't feel it will be practical to have to make and transfer a build and navigate the menu system every time just to try my latest changes.

Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

alexribin
Explorer

Hi,

Is there some way to simulate the VR environment within Unity without using a headset?

Unity has built in emulation that allows you to preview your mobile builds using an Oculus Rift. This is the best method for mobile-based development iteration at this time.

Is there anything similar for Unreal Engine?

Micki0001
Honored Guest
I’m digging the Go because the deployment workflow is super easy. Any chance we might see build run preview on the Quest, if not for the Go? I’m already planning to move up to the Quest, for a host of reasons (IPD adjustment, 6doF, etc) and this capability would really really round it out well. Thanks for creating such a solid platform in the Go, and thanks for the bold design ideas you are likely trying desperately to include in the Quest!

grant_marzette
Explorer
Hey guys did we find a way to run our application from Unity onto the device? Be able to debug live?

Schneider21
Expert Protege
@"grant.marzette" FWIW, Matt Conte, in his recent AMA, mentioned this being a priority for the coming year. 
improving iteration time natively on-device is one of our top priorities this year (once we get the hardware out the door!). I don't have anything i can talk about right at this moment, but we are heavily focused on making this more palatable during development. There's a lot of tips and tricks we'd like to share once things go public, and the forums are a great resource for things like working around long shader variant compiles. We're working on it!

Doesn't sound like it's necessarily previewing-on-device-from-editor, but it sounds like a possibility.