cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch between VR and non-VR mode, as in the "Samsung Gear 360" app, with Unity + Android?

ArthurFox
Honored Guest
Hi there, I'm developing a simple app in Unity and wish to be able to switch between starting in non-VR mode, then switching into VR mode. This is much in the same way as the Samsung Gear 360 app does when you click on the "View on Gear VR" button on the top-right. 

When enabling "Virtual Reality Supported" in the Android tab of the Unity Player Settings, the app will always require the Gear VR to start up, which is less than ideal. And once its running there's no way of switching out of VR, even when a script disables the suggested "VRSettings.enabled" flag, which simply doesn't seem to do anything.

So does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
30 REPLIES 30

zproxy
Expert Protege
unless there is documentation available, for DUAL has anyone reviewed the code for Oculus Browser and Internet  ?

zproxy
Expert Protege
(name = "com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode", value = "dual")
on S6, if apk is set for dual, it does appear under DUAL list near others. If clicked, it seems its primary activity is launched.

will the app then have to await for the headset event, and then launch itself again? or will oculus home block it while inside headset?

zproxy
Expert Protege
why is Oculus Browser browser listed as DUAL? when clicked, it asks for Gear VR like other 
vr_only
apps?

StaRky_FR
Protege
@imperativity
Hi ! Any update for the dual functionnality ?
Is there a workaroud ?

SuneVR
Explorer
Hi Oculus staff, where are we on the Dual Mode? @imperativity or @vrdaveb

iBrews
Honored Guest
bump! Would really appreciate this, or at least knowing when it can be expected.

behnam-lum
Explorer
Still waiting for this and nothing happens!

Chris10001
Honored Guest
Hi - this would be really useful - any progress?
Even if it is not ready yet - is thereany way, programatically - in unity y to find out if the APK has been launched as a 2D or a VR app.

My sideloaded app crashes if launched by mistake from 2D mode, and you have to reboot to fix it.
So I would like to do somethgin like this:
Are we in 2Dmode? If yes - then quit.

christheobaldis
Honored Guest
Updates?

oleg.konovalov
Honored Guest

Almost 5 years past and there is still no "dual" mode. I'm trying to implement recommended solution with 2 apps. But when I start “vr_only” app from regular app, app just freeze. In log I can see E/InputDispatcher: Display #X has focused window. I can start another regular intent of other app from my regular app, but fail to start “vr_only” app. Did anyone had luck with implementing recommended solution?