cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avatar pose packet serialization using PUN 2 on Go/Gear?

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
Hi there,

I'm putting out a feeler here just to see if anyone has had any luck with sending Avatar pose packets using PUN 2 specifically when working with the Go. I've been trying to get this to work using their provided instructions and based on what I've found I think the issue is specifically with sending the poses between mobile devices. Any time I create a PUN room between a PC and a mobile device there are no issues, but specifically when a Go creates a room and another Go tries to join it, the second Go crashes. Logcat gives me this in the crash log:

11-16 17:15:04.959  4265  4298 V [Avatar SDK]-EntryPoints: ovrAvatarPacket_Read was called before ovrAvatar_InitializeAndroid()!

I tried to put a check for `Oculus.Platform.Core.IsInitialized()` before deserialization and that doesn't seem to be preventing the crash.
I'm considering switching to the native Oculus-based approach for social and avatar networking and P2P but the documentation is even more scant there than it is with Photon.

Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1
16 REPLIES 16

alexis_delforge
Honored Guest
Hi @cloud_canvas, @treeviewstudios

We're doing the same combo PUN-Avatar SDK, working on serialize/deserialize avatar customisations for cross-platforms.
I tried to come to your slack and discord, but none of them work, any updates on a social group for this combo to discuss ?

treeviewstudios
Protege

Hi @cloud_canvas, @treeviewstudios

We're doing the same combo PUN-Avatar SDK, working on serialize/deserialize avatar customisations for cross-platforms.
I tried to come to your slack and discord, but none of them work, any updates on a social group for this combo to discuss ?

@alexis.delforges Hi, i forgot about this, 
im TreeLion in https://discordapp.com/invite/uxaRmVq

thats the right link

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
small update, Photon have actually updated their documentation on serializing Oculus Avatars to include my hotfix.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1

NyanBlade
Explorer
Hey guys, I am also trying to do the same thing. Do you have a new link for the Discord group?

@treeviewstudios @cloud_canvas

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
@NyanBlade
https://discord.gg/dtqh2vS
That link shouldn't expire.

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
to all who find this in the future, the above Discord got merged into a larger one. All Photon-related stuff is in its own channels in the sidebar. Here's the invite link that got posted with the migration: https://discord.gg/XVGXRzq

Dakor
Explorer
If anyone finds this in the future: You can check for
OvrAvatarSDKManager.Instance != null;
and throw away all packages you receive before this is true.
Instance returns null if the instance is not yet initialized.

I just stumbled upon this experiencing random crashes with Mirror and Oculus Avatars on Quest when joining a session. I then found the error message in logcat and found this post.
Writer for Bloculus.de the German Virtual Reality Developer Blog Professional software developer for VR, Collector of old Gaming Hardware