cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MATCHMAKING Sessions Timeout/Fail to Connect.

brandon6ense
Explorer
Hey Unreal Oculus Community,

Our matchmaking sessions started breaking recently, it seems to have happened from under us as we have many old builds that used to work that no longer. They all fail in the same way...

Here is the gist of it:
1. Create a session and set the host as a listen server. (Either open the level with the parameter listen or reload the level with listen)
** We are using a browse pool, with no options. As simple as can be.
2. On the Client join the session with the same pool name.
3. Session is joined successfully (on success branch gets hit) but fails to complete as it times out, the session will end itself.
4. The host never sees the player, never even gets a sniff that they tried to connect.

We have tried this with multiple machines, one on the same LAN, one not.

We have a sample project ready to send to you via DropBox as well.

This is in 4.18.3 using the Oculus GitHub version of the source to create a Distribution build that we have been using for many months. This problem recently showed up with NO code or content changes.

Thx,Brandon

28 REPLIES 28

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
@imperativity 
A quick update, just made the test with two different PC (no VM) and the result was same. so its either
1-My code is wrong.
2- There is still a bug in Oculus online system.
2- Or some kind of regional port is locked but if there was something like that i wouldn't able to find the session in the first place.

So please let the engineer look at my project that i attached in the previews comment and see if he can spot any missing part. and since i already mentioned that my app id is in the project engine ini he can check my account and see my pool config. 

Thanks.

brandon6ense
Explorer
I believe the issue is resolved. @imperativity thank you for all the help!

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

@Mohammed_hashim

I am still looking into this issue with some engineers as we can't quite nail down why you and another developer are outliers here. I'll be sure to have this issue addressed sometime this week or next.

@imperativity
Have you let the team to take a look on my project file i attached earlier please? mine still not working and probably my BP code is missing something from the beginning and its not problem on Oculus server end

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

@Mohammed_hashim

Definitely---sorry about the delay here. We entered a holiday period and several of our engineers were out. I'll be looking into this issue actively this week.

Hi @imperativity
I finally able to find the root of the problem, and i were able to make a successful matchmaking connection that server can see the client with event post login and the client traveled to listen server map. it explain why some dev got their project working and why others like me stuck with the problem.
Seems at the end the problem was on the plugin itself of OnlineSubsystemOculus somehow the matchmaking is broken on version >1.20 so if you build your project on any version lower than official epic launcher 4.19 (which contain 1.20 of Oculus plugin) it will work that's why  some dev had problem and others didn't. 
Since yesterday i tried to manually upgrade Oculus online plugin 1.20 from 4.19 to 4.21 as my game is in final stage on 4.21 but i failed so could you ask one of the engineer of your team to quickly compile 1.20 version for me for 4.21 for my project as i'm very late on my game its been a month on this subject. till you guys fix it in final version which might take more time. 

BTW with 1.20 the plugin works perfectly and the client travel to the listen server map without executing open level on client just like the doc described it and the post login in game-mode fire as it should unlike 1.24 version which make fake connection between and the server never see the client connection and post login never fire on game-mode from server side.

please let me know if you need any farther information.

pushmatrix
Honored Guest
@imperativity
I am in the same boat as @Mohammed_hashim. I have a 4.21 project running on the latest OculusVR github branch, and even though join session is marked as a success, the client never travels to the server's map. After 60 seconds, it times out. 

I check the room debugger, and indeed there are two people in the room. But in game, they are not connected.

The 4.20 version of my game works fine.
Any thoughts?

@Mohammed_hashim, have you had any luck?

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

@imperativity
I am in the same boat as @Mohammed_hashim. I have a 4.21 project running on the latest OculusVR github branch, and even though join session is marked as a success, the client never travels to the server's map. After 60 seconds, it times out. 

I check the room debugger, and indeed there are two people in the room. But in game, they are not connected.

The 4.20 version of my game works fine.
Any thoughts?

@Mohammed_hashim, have you had any luck?

@pushmatrix, Nope,  the problem is on the plugin itself and i don't have the knowledge to fix it myself so hopefully Oculus team will fix it. and since the API changed i cant manually compile the plugin from 4.20 to 4.21. 
@imperativity
here is the latest update, i don't know why the codes of Oculus plugins on official epic engine and OculusVR github branch have different version but still both of them keep same version number which makes a lot of confusion. so below you will find my latest update on which engine work and which one doesn't, somehow both engine of epic and oculus git regarding 4.20 have same version but Oculus version work and epic one doesn't, so you cant just relay on the version number which i mentioned on my previews post. hopeful below will help you more to fix the issue ASAP.
OculusVR github branch 4.18, 4.19, 4.20 ----------->Works
OculusVR github branch 4.21--------------------------> Doesn't works

Epic launcher only 4.18 works, any version above 4.18 doesn't work.

So please let the team fix 4.21 for us on github. or give us a workaround on which part of the code we need to change on the source of the plugin 4.20 so we can compile it on 4.21 if fix is going to take much more time.

Mosel3y
Explorer
@Mohammed_hashim
I was getting this issue too, and I believe I have fixed it. I don't think Oculus review pull requests, but I opened one here anyway so you can see the changes:

https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/pull/25

Can you try that and see if it fixes the issue for you?

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

Mosel3y said:

@Mohammed_hashim
I was getting this issue too, and I believe I have fixed it. I don't think Oculus review pull requests, but I opened one here anyway so you can see the changes:

https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/pull/25

Can you try that and see if it fixes the issue for you?

You really made it, your next pizza on me 🙂 it worked. 
@imperativity Good news, looks like Mosel3y fixed this headache for us so thank you guys both for wonderful job. now we can get back to our work 🙂

pushmatrix
Honored Guest
Incredible work @Mosel3y ! Thanks a ton.

Out of curiosity, how did you end up figuring out that was the fix?