cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
How can I get my hands on an oculus quest so I can start developing on it?
22 REPLIES 22

ancientc
Honored Guest
In case I would "magically" get an Oculus Quest I would create a special edition of my "Fractal Flow VR Lucid Dreaming" for it in max three weeks. Just a message for my guardian angels :smiley: http://ancientc.com/fractal-flow-vr-lucid-dreaming/ ;@imperativity @wirelitesoft.dev #christmascoming #youneverknow #enlightenyourmind
bbays82wcjdx.png

AstaMaStaar
Honored Guest
Hello. We are developing software and applications for the physical reality and would like to purchase a new Oculus Quest as soon as possible to adapt the work for it. Is it possible to purchase new Oculus this year ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
@imperativity I hear there is no thumbrest pad on the Quest? If so that's not a direct mapping.

For getting the quest, most likely Oculus is talking with existing titles of some significance to port to the Quest. So for the rest of us, unless you have something comparable you won't be getting much

bkj
Adventurer
Oculus Quest Dev Kits:

We've noticed that many of you have been emailing us asking about Oculus Quest dev kits. You may have seen this new paragraph on our Oculus Start Member's page: Oculus Quest developer kits are very limited. Should this change in the future, we will be sure to let the Oculus Start community know first. We encourage you to develop for 6DOF by building your app for the Oculus Rift, from which you can migrate to the Oculus Quest with some optimization and integration changes.

We recognize that this may not seem very helpful (or happy news). We greatly appreciate your interest in developing for Oculus
Quest. As a new category of device, we are working with select
developers for the initial line-up of launch titles. As such, we do not
have a developer kit request program for Oculus Quest at this time.

As mentioned in the webpage, we recommend developing for 6DoF on Rift in the meantime as we further define the Oculus
Quest Store guidelines. We know we will be looking for fully immersive
VR titles with depth and delight that will match consumer expectations
but are aiming to provide more clarity as we approach Spring 2019. Then,
in Spring 2019, you can purchase a consumer device to begin porting to Oculus Quest should your app match the Quest Store criteria.

andy_czerwinski
Honored Guest
hmm - that response doesnt actually cover the requirements that most of us are asking. The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?

bkj
Adventurer
The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?

It doesn't matter, you will receive position and rotation data of the controllers the same way. Bigger problem is perfomance issues while PC has up to 500W to burn you have only 4W with mobile VR.

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer

bkj said:

The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?

It doesn't matter, you will receive position and rotation data of the controllers the same way. Bigger problem is perfomance issues while PC has up to 500W to burn you have only 4W with mobile VR.

the quest can track boxes that you make a playing field out of. you can't do this type of testing without the quest.
with a rift you stuck however far your cord can reach, and we all know it don't reach very far.

bkj
Adventurer
@"wirelitesoft.dev" you are correct, but you are describing extreme case, how big will your play area be?

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer

bkj said:

@"wirelitesoft.dev" you are correct, but you are describing extreme case, how big will your play area be?

30 ft by 40 ft. my friend has a warehouse with an empty room that we want to turn into an arena

playspiritgames
Honored Guest
Hi guys, does anyone know when the documentation for Oculus Quest development will be made available?