cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Performance drops when activating particle system - why?

motorsep
Rising Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbyJzk0xaFk

When I activate particle system on the rising drone (using Activate node), performance drops momentarily. Do you happen to know why is this happening and how to work around it ?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

motorsep said:

Hi @motorsep did you able to find a workaround for this issue?

I don't develop for Gear VR any longer and I haven't tried particles on Go yet.

I see, based on my experience for the last week its really not fun to develop for GearVR with UE4 since the performance is very low and you cant do much about it. anyway good luck with your project.

motorsep
Rising Star

motorsep said:

Hi @motorsep did you able to find a workaround for this issue?

I don't develop for Gear VR any longer and I haven't tried particles on Go yet.

I see, based on my experience for the last week its really not fun to develop for GearVR with UE4 since the performance is very low and you cant do much about it. anyway good luck with your project.

I don't think it's UE4's fault. Oculus Go and UE 4.21.1 work fine. However, if you are trying to shove high-end effects (especially post-processing) into Gear VR, it won't work simply because none of the smartphones is designed to run high-end VR (even though it could be mobile high-end).

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
@motorsep Based on my research seems UE4 have issue with post process on android with empty level and it runs fine with IOS with normal game, so yeah i think UE4 have problem with android HDR like other dev mentioned even with flat games. I'm downloading old UE to see if what other devs said true or not since some devs mentioned this problem appeared after 4.10. regarding heavy lose on FPS when HDR enabled even when you disable all post process on your game.