cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need a developer kit to make games for oculous with unity?

bloodyrift
Honored Guest
Do i need a developer kit to make games for oculus with unity? or can i just use a normal oculus rift?
6 REPLIES 6

MikeF
Trustee
You can use a normal rift

bloodyrift
Honored Guest
ok thanks 

CatnipVR
Explorer
I'm curious to know if anyone has been able to build an app/game without the use of a HMD at all. I've been having some trouble ordering a replacement Go due to country restrictions and may take some time for me to arrange another. Is there a way for my team to develop a prototype (or possibly even upload the binary) without the use of a HMD at all?

bloodyrift
Honored Guest
i would suggest finding someone who has one that u can trust with sending test builds of what your makeing

kojack
MVP
MVP

CatnipVR said:

I'm curious to know if anyone has been able to build an app/game without the use of a HMD at all. I've been having some trouble ordering a replacement Go due to country restrictions and may take some time for me to arrange another. Is there a way for my team to develop a prototype (or possibly even upload the binary) without the use of a HMD at all?

Building for a Go requires the android sdk installed and set up in Unity. No headset is needed, it can build to an apk that you could give to others to install. Or there's the oculus developer channel stuff for testers, but I haven't tried that yet (I'm not working on apps for the store).

This is actually how I started here, I wrote an oculus rift test app and had someone on the forum test for me. Once it was working for him, I ordered a rift to see it myself. 🙂

Obviously it's not an ideal situation, especially for the Go where performance on the Adreno 530 GPU is so critical. Plus the understanding of scale, visibility and controls are going to be issues. But it shouldn't stop development to not have a headset handy.

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
As of several Utilities versions ago, the Oculus SDK allows for emulation of gaze and clicking and rotation that works very similar to the classic Cardboard SDK. So you can emulate headset movements and actions in the Editor without having a Rift plugged in at all. I recently moved offices and didn't even both to plug my Rift in moving forward on developing for Go and have had no problems. I only plug in a Rift when there's Platform feature that's easier to do on the Windows app than anywhere else (like friend request approvals and such).