[GO] UE 4.21.2 + 1.34 app instantly closes after launch — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[GO] UE 4.21.2 + 1.34 app instantly closes after launch

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,362 Oculus Start Member
I moved from UE 4.21.1 + 1.32 to UE 4.21.2 + 1.34. Everything works fine when using UE 4.21.1.

First there were issues with Audio SDK which prevented UE4 from even packaging the project. Oculus fixed that in timely fashion, which I am grateful for.

Now it's this:

02-14 18:14:00.750  3546  3563 D UE4     : Fatal error: [File:E:\UE4Source\UE-oculus-4212-release-1340\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformProcess.cpp] [Line: 45] 
02-14 18:14:00.750  3546  3563 D UE4     : FPlatformProcess::GetDllExport not implemented on this platform
02-14 18:14:00.750  3546  3563 D UE4     : Assertion failed:  [File:E:\UE4Source\UE-oculus-4212-release-1340\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformProcess.cpp] [Line: 45] 
02-14 18:14:00.750  3546  3563 D UE4     : FPlatformProcess::GetDllExport not implemented on this platform
02-14 18:14:00.750  3546  3563 D UE4     : LogAndroid: Error: === Critical error: ===

Basically as soon as I launch my app on Go, it goes into black screen and instantly shuts down.

Has anyone experienced such issue ? 

Comments

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,362 Oculus Start Member
    @NinjaGaijin ^^ I submitted a bug report for that last night  :)
    I wonder if no one even using 4.21.2 + 1.34 currently :/
  • IanSharar22IanSharar22 Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    motorsep said:
    I'm not, will be soon though once I finish all of the updates for my current game. 

I'm of the mindset to not transfer projects to newer versions of ue4. I know you CAN, but all I ever see are problems lol. Is there no reason you can't just finish it in 4.21.1? My current game is still using 4.16 lol, everything would stop working if i tried it in 4.21 
    iansharar said:
    motorsep said:
    I'm not, will be soon though once I finish all of the updates for my current game. 

I'm of the mindset to not transfer projects to newer versions of ue4. I know you CAN, but all I ever see are problems lol. Is there no reason you can't just finish it in 4.21.1? My current game is still using 4.16 lol, everything would stop working if i tried it in 4.21 
    That's actually a mistake, since UE4 keeps making things better for VR with every release. On top of that if no one tests newer version, Oculus/Epic will not know about bugs. That's actually the case with mobile VR and UE4 - only a few people use UE4 for mobile VR and even less people report bugs. Thus we have lingering bugs in the engine related to mobile VR.

Also, if you are on 4.16, you are lacking a ton of performance and functionality improvements, especially in Audio/Platform departments.

My project is still in the very early stages where I can afford to update to most recent version.
  • IanSharar22IanSharar22 Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    motorsep said:
    iansharar said:
    motorsep said:

That's actually a mistake, since UE4 keeps making things better for VR with every release. On top of that if no one tests newer version, Oculus/Epic will not know about bugs. That's actually the case with mobile VR and UE4 - only a few people use UE4 for mobile VR and even less people report bugs. Thus we have lingering bugs in the engine related to mobile VR.

Also, if you are on 4.16, you are lacking a ton of performance and functionality improvements, especially in Audio/Platform departments.

My project is still in the very early stages where I can afford to update to most recent version.
    If I was a better programmer or had the time, I'd agree with you. I'm a one man team that does this in my free time.  For me, the best option is to not mess with it. I don't have the time to fix half of my code lol. a large part of that stems from using plugins that wouldnt transfer well. Besides, at this point, I'm almost done. by the end of the month I'll be using the newest versions with you! 
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 209 Oculus Start Member
    @motorsep, I'm using ue 4.21.2 plus 1.34. From the Oculus distribution  but only with Rift.
    Sometime I don't now why my game is crashing also without warning even if the build was good.
    When this is happening I delete all the files in my project and keep only:
    Config
    Source
    Content
    Plugin
    xx.upropject
     Re-generate VS project file and rebuild all.

@Neontop

You wouldn't have any issues with Rift, because it builds DLL for Windows. In my case, it also builds DLL for Android, which isn't how it works. I think it's still issue with new Audio SDK.
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 209 Oculus Start Member
    I tried recently the template of @beaulima9933 v5.1 with the Oculus dis ue 4.21.2 and I have to flag false the Oculus Audio plugin has it crash the template on launch. 
    Good luck.

edited February 18
    Neontop said:
    I tried recently the template of @beaulima9933 v5.1 with the Oculus dis ue 4.21.2 and I have to flag false the Oculus Audio plugin has it crash the template on launch. 
    Good luck.

Well, that defeats the purpose of using the new build of UE4 - I'd like to have 1.34 Audio SDK with new occlusions and stuff.
  • prokshitprokshit Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Check in Project Settings 
    - Go to bottom end  - OculusVR and Launch Utilities - Select Mobile and Click on all the suggestions like android config..etc
    - Make sure your android sdk is Android 21, higher version not supported. 
    - Uncheck the "Use Gradle instead of Ant", Gradle builds on the higher android version.
    - Textures format is ASTC, I think you already know this.
    Try these and let me know.
    prokshit said:
    - Go to bottom end  - OculusVR and Launch Utilities - Select Mobile and Click on all the suggestions like android config..etc
    - Make sure your android sdk is Android 21, higher version not supported. 
    - Uncheck the "Use Gradle instead of Ant", Gradle builds on the higher android version.
    - Textures format is ASTC, I think you already know this.
    Try these and let me know.
    This isn't my first rodeo.. Android 23 works fine (and required for Quest). I've been using Gradle since it was implemented into UE4 - never had any issues. I used to pack with ETC2, now I am using ASTC, but it has _nothing_ to do with the fatal error I am getting.

The only thing that might help is "Launch Utilities" - I don't recall seeing it in 4.21.1 + 1.32 Oculus fork.

The issue with this fatal error is Audio SDK. I wasn't even packaging for Go initially. Oculus fixed that. Now it doesn't eve run (because it packages for Windows apparently, even if I am packaging for Android).
    I am not a C++ programmer, but it looks like Android isn't even supported (I might be wrong though):

https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/blob/91f23fa7c51595d7af18cf94f0ab3cc73df0ec60/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusAudio/Source/OculusAudio/Private/OculusAudioDllManager.cpp

In FOculusAudioLibraryManager::LoadDll() you see // PAS TODO: support middleware on android. There is only #if to handle Windows platform.
    prokshit said:

No-go either.
  • prokshitprokshit Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Glad to hear this isn't your first rodeo, I had mine couple days ago and it sucked. Anyways I faced the same issue and I fixed it but I just can't seem to remember what it was exactly that fixed it. Don't know if it was audio or not but as soon as I opened my App on GO, black screen and then back to the oculus main menu screen.
    This is what I did as much as I can remember - 
    - Using Ant and Instead of Gradle which I still suggest you give that a shot. 
    - I downloaded and updated all the android extra stuff inside the SDK manager.
  • burtonposeyburtonposey Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Having the same issue myself. Whether or not I'm specifying to use the Oculus Audio plugin, I am still getting an immediate crash back to the menu when I launch. However, when I disable the Oculus Audio plugin from the project altogether, the application loads without issue.
  • mfmfmfmf Posts: 56 Oculus Staff
    Hey folks-- sorry for the delay. We've patched this issue in the 4.21 version available in our github.