Oculus Go Video Shots no longer working correctly — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Go Video Shots no longer working correctly

Hi,

I have been developing on the Go using UE 4.21. I had been using the "Record Video" feature to record game play then getting the video files off via USB and sharing but since Saturday things have stopped working like they did before. This might actually be a wider issue than Unreal as I the same problems when recording videos in other apps. It may not even related to development so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Some things I have noticed:
  1. Before when I would come out of a game and click Record Video I would be taken back into the game with recording on, then when I next pressed the system button to pause the game the recording would automatically stop. This no longer happens and I have to manually click Record Video again to stop the recording.
  2. Previously the filenames of videos in "VideoShots" directory would include the name of the app that was recorded, now they all say "com.oculus.vrshell-{timestamp}".
  3. The videos still show up in explorer with their time stamps and reasonable file sizes but all the videos after Saturday wont play on PC at all. On the Go, in gallery I can usually see the files and also usually they will play correctly. However the thumbnails often don't work and sometimes they do but the videos aren't labelled as videos, they look like photos but when you click on them they do in fact play. Occasioanlly the files won't even play on the Go.
A couple of times restarting the go made the videos show up correctly in gallery and even made one or two playable on PC but that no longer works and all videos stopped working. 

Haven't tried resetting headset.

Thanks.

Comments

• CaffeineHighCaffeineHigh Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    I'm running into the same issue.   Has anyone found a solution for this?
  • xsdanielxsdaniel Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited February 21
    Same problem here! Just want to add that all the videos I recorded have a length of 00:00:00, but as @ctpeepee
    mentioned, they have reasonable file size and even the right codec.

It seems that the account of @imperativity was deleted or he changed his nickname; I have no idea who from the Oculus staff should I tag so they can pay attention to this. Maybe @deb.nebula or @vrdaveb?

• MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    @NinjaGaijin Same problem here. Any suggestions / workarounds for this issue?
  • vakexpertvakexpert Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. Need help Oculus!

Attached a broken video file.
  • radicalappdevradicalappdev Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue with apps built from Unity. When I enabled video capture (explained here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-testing-capture/) I was able to record in the Oculus menu area, but as soon as I open one of my apps the a new file is created and that new file doesn't open in any video app.
  • adrien.grandemangeadrien.grandemange Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here
    Art3mis
    @NinjaGaijin any chance you can share more info on this problem? Any fix in the works already? 
  • fariazzfariazz Posts: 80 Oculus Start Member
    I'm experiencing this issue as well. Can't open screen recordings in the computer, they show as 0 seconds duration, but they have the correct size. Tried using Handbrake (transcoder tool), a few video players and Camtasia to open them but none of the program recognizes the format.
    Virtual Reality Mini-Degree - Learn to code in Unity and build 15 VR games and experiences
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,394 Oculus Start Member
    3.58.5 produces broken videos (even though it takes up space on disk after copying video from Go, it won't play anywhere) for me too @NinjaGaijin
  • NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 221 Oculus Staff
    edited March 6
    Thanks for the heads up everyone, our team is aware of the issue and is working towards a fix. In the meantime, please try this workaround:

Update 3/6
    : Please use the following method shared by fariazz:

The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:
    adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)

Thanks for the heads up everyone, our team is aware of the issue and is working towards a fix. In the meantime, please try this workaround (essentially, connect your headset to USB only AFTER you finish capturing your video):

1. On the Oculus Go (disconnected from USB), go to the main dashboard.
    2. Capture your footage.
    3. Connect Headset to USB.
    4. Allow Access.
    5. Copy/View Videos from Headset: Oculus-> VideoShots

Result: Videos play properly.
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
    3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!
    Art3mis
    Ninja's workaround doesn't work for me. Still the same result. Can anyone confirm this workaround is indeed working for them? Im on 3.58.5.140881727
    maxBr said:
    Ninja's workaround doesn't work for me. Still the same result. Can anyone confirm this workaround is indeed working for them? Im on 3.58.5.140881727
    Have you tried disabling dev mode ?
    Art3mis
    motorsep said:
    You confirm it works again if you disable dev mode? I rather not mess with that setting - who knows what will break again...
    maxBr said:
    motorsep said:
    You confirm it works again if you disable dev mode? I rather not mess with that setting - who knows what will break again...
    No, I don't want to mess with the settings either :wink:
  • jmuraskindecervojmuraskindecervo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have tried ninja's work around with both dev on and off and it hasnt worked for me. I looked at the mp4 files and i get this response from ffmpeg-

"[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fcfdf000000] moov atom not found"

hopefully that helps solve the issue. 

Thanks for the feedback, could anyone else let me know here if the workaround above does/does not solve the issue?
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    NerveGear
    @NinjaGaijin
    The workaround described above does not work for me either. I also tried disabling developer mode and repeating the steps. Every time the resulting file is unreadable in every video app I've tried on macOS and Windows. Interestingly, these broken videos do actually play in the video player in Oculus Gallery, just not anywhere else.
    @radicalappdev

Here is an idea - open recorded video in Oculus Gallery, then close the app, connect HMD to the PC, copy that same video and see if it plays. I think that's how I got videos working before I updated to 3.58.5
  • fariazzfariazz Posts: 80 Oculus Start Member
    The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)
    Virtual Reality Mini-Degree - Learn to code in Unity and build 15 VR games and experiences
    Thanks for that, @fariazz! For everyone having this issue, please use the "adb pull" command to grab your videos from your device.

NerveGear
    Thanks @fariazz This works great. I'm able to pull a copy of the entire VideoShots folder on macOS like this:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/ /Users/USERNAME/Downloads/

• RebmocamRebmocam Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. When is this going to be fixed? @NinjaGaijin
    edited April 1
    Thank you for your patience with this, everyone! Our engineering team is working towards a fix for this, which should be available in firmware version 3.60 for the Oculus Go (and is currently being rolled out in waves).

• vr360blnvr360bln Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    thx 4 that one !
  • schnittbrot123schnittbrot123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks @fariazz This works great. I'm able to pull a copy of the entire VideoShots folder on macOS like this:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/ /Users/USERNAME/Downloads/

Also works perfectly on Windows.
    Became worried for a second that I would have to wait for the new firmware to drop B)
    I am still with 3.58.xx :/
  • DigitalStudioCLDigitalStudioCL Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Interesting. "Pull" works for me if i add to the command the destination copy. If just "pull" and then copy the file manually, it didnt work. Thanks! for this patch.
  • ocular-vrocular-vr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 24
    All working fine :) Just did a reboot.
  • ArtificialIllusionsArtificialIllusions Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    Same problem, the pull command only worked once for me for whatever reason. The next attempt didn't work and videos are still broken.

• GobstarGobstar Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    Hey guys. Had this probablem and I fixed what was doing it for me. I was working with 360 video and had monoscopic on. In the end, that was the problem for some reason. I switched it off and it worked perfectly.