Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Auto startup app on oculus go

kibit85kibit85 Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi, i need to develop an app for a museum with oculus go. I need to automatically start my application at 9:00 am at every day.
In a previous version with Gear 360 i do that creating a service apk that runs my apk. Than my app uses a server-client protocol to connect to a tablet and from that tablet i can control all the system with an app.

So, can I install that service on oculus go to? Or there is any way to run my app remotely from a tablet or computer or phone?

Comments

• NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 229 Oculus Staff
    @kibit85 Thank you for your feedback. This functionality is currently not available and is a popular request among our community. I'll pass it along to our internal team to review.
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
    3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!
  • joniojonio Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @NinjaGaijin any progress on this update? It is a very important feature when developing for B2B. We have multiple clients that we would like to switch to Oculus GO and the feature is crucial for the easy use of the solutions.

Also, do you plan to enable using Oculus GO without a controller? For many solutions starting an app and using gaze control is enough.

Please let me know.
  • clutteredcluttered Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Just as long as there is a simple override. 

It would be nice to have an auto start option, but how long before someone messes up and you need to hardware reset. Or even more likely, some a*hole decides to create a virus or form of ransomware.

So, yes to an option but it *MUST* have a simple way to override it and thus easily prevent any malicious behaviour or accidents!
  • jackbriarsjackbriars Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    kibit85 said:
    Hi, i need to develop an app for a museum with oculus go. I need to automatically start my application at 9:00 am at every day.
    In a previous version with Gear 360 i do that creating a service apk that runs my apk. Than my app uses a server-client protocol to connect to a tablet and from that tablet i can control all the system with an app.

So, can I install that service on oculus go to? Or there is any way to run my app remotely from a tablet or computer or phone?
    Did you manage to get around the auto start issue in the end? we have managed the tablet control once in our app but still have the remote to contend with. 
  • justinlutzjustinlutz Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    kibit85 said:

Did you manage to get around the auto start issue in the end? we have managed the tablet control once in our app but still have the remote to contend with. 
    I am also very interested in any suggested solution to this issue. Teaching a classroom of VR newcomers to use the Oculus Go remote for the sole purpose of getting the app started is not ideal.
  • morelanjmorelanj Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anyone figured out a solution for this yet? I'm also very interested in auto start for classroom use to save time getting started.
  • jonalexfilmsjonalexfilms Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This is huge.  Come Oculus team, we're counting on you
  • Adriaan_RijkensAdriaan_Rijkens Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yes, when will this be coming? And also when is the controller-free Oculus Go coming. These are some really simple features that make it a lot easier for the Oculus Community to get Oculus Go's out in the open where millions of people who do not yet own an Oculus Go can already experience it.... I really do not understand why Oculus is so hesitant about making your own device a success. 
  • robert.ottingerrobert.ottinger Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    We also have this need for several customers and use cases. Any timeline for this? Anyone from Oculus looking at this thread?
  • coren_australiacoren_australia Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am looking at using my oculus go for a research project in the healthcare setting and this is the functionality that I desperately need.  

The oculus go needs to auto start in a specific app when it's turned on. 
  • libelleleylibelleley Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, just to give this issue more importance.
    We too have exactly the same wish for an Oculus Quest and Oculus Go application in an exhibition in a museum in Switzerland. We show a huge dragonfly in VR and a 360 Video in Oculus Go. The visitors love it but museums personel just want it easier to use:
    - Autostart of the VR App or 360 Video
    - No Controller interaction
    So far we just let the VR app run all the time and try to handle the pause and resume event. But from time to time the app quits and has to be restarted with controllers. 
    Regards 
    Marcus
  • vrbeyondvrbeyond Posts: 7 Oculus Start Member
    Hi there, I'm also hoping for an autostart feature for a B2B client I will be working with. Any update on this?
  • jfl4jfl4 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Would also like this feature (and the ability to avoid the controller).  Weird that it hasn't happened yet since the coding should be trivial.
  • robbe.vlaeminckrobbe.vlaeminck Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Still no update on this? Come on Oculus...
  • MAKROPOLMAKROPOL Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We too would like this feature for an exhibition, can we at least get an update from Oculus?
  • nigrinnigrin Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    +1 for both needing this badly (for museum and school use cases) and asking for an update
  • NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 229 Oculus Staff
    We hear your desire for this feature loud and clear! The upcoming enterprise software/hardware bundle will include kiosk mode for Oculus Go. Please reach out to the Oculus for Business team for more info: https://www.oculusforbusiness.com/support/
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
    3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!