cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go Video Shots no longer working correctly

ctpeepee
Honored Guest
Hi,

I have been developing on the Go using UE 4.21. I had been using the "Record Video" feature to record game play then getting the video files off via USB and sharing but since Saturday things have stopped working like they did before. This might actually be a wider issue than Unreal as I the same problems when recording videos in other apps. It may not even related to development so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Some things I have noticed:
  1. Before when I would come out of a game and click Record Video I would be taken back into the game with recording on, then when I next pressed the system button to pause the game the recording would automatically stop. This no longer happens and I have to manually click Record Video again to stop the recording.
  2. Previously the filenames of videos in "VideoShots" directory would include the name of the app that was recorded, now they all say "com.oculus.vrshell-{timestamp}".
  3. The videos still show up in explorer with their time stamps and reasonable file sizes but all the videos after Saturday wont play on PC at all. On the Go, in gallery I can usually see the files and also usually they will play correctly. However the thumbnails often don't work and sometimes they do but the videos aren't labelled as videos, they look like photos but when you click on them they do in fact play. Occasioanlly the files won't even play on the Go.
A couple of times restarting the go made the videos show up correctly in gallery and even made one or two playable on PC but that no longer works and all videos stopped working. 

Haven't tried resetting headset.

Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Thanks for the heads up everyone, our team is aware of the issue and is working towards a fix. In the meantime, please try this workaround:

Update 3/6
: Please use the following method shared by fariazz:

The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)

Thanks for the heads up everyone, our team is aware of the issue and is working towards a fix. In the meantime, please try this workaround (essentially, connect your headset to USB only AFTER you finish capturing your video):

1. On the Oculus Go (disconnected from USB), go to the main dashboard.
2. Capture your footage.
3. Connect Headset to USB.
4. Allow Access.
5. Copy/View Videos from Headset: Oculus-> VideoShots

Result: Videos play properly.
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @mouse_bear once you have done so!

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Ninja's workaround doesn't work for me. Still the same result. Can anyone confirm this workaround is indeed working for them? Im on 3.58.5.140881727

motorsep
Rising Star

maxBr said:

Ninja's workaround doesn't work for me. Still the same result. Can anyone confirm this workaround is indeed working for them? Im on 3.58.5.140881727

Have you tried disabling dev mode ?

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

motorsep said:

You confirm it works again if you disable dev mode? I rather not mess with that setting - who knows what will break again...

motorsep
Rising Star

maxBr said:

motorsep said:

You confirm it works again if you disable dev mode? I rather not mess with that setting - who knows what will break again...

No, I don't want to mess with the settings either ::wink:

jmuraskindecerv
Honored Guest
I have tried ninja's work around with both dev on and off and it hasnt worked for me. I looked at the mp4 files and i get this response from ffmpeg-

"[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fcfdf000000] moov atom not found"

hopefully that helps solve the issue. 

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Thanks for the feedback, could anyone else let me know here if the workaround above does/does not solve the issue?
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @mouse_bear once you have done so!

radicalappdev
Protege
@NinjaGaijin
The workaround described above does not work for me either. I also tried disabling developer mode and repeating the steps. Every time the resulting file is unreadable in every video app I've tried on macOS and Windows. Interestingly, these broken videos do actually play in the video player in Oculus Gallery, just not anywhere else.

motorsep
Rising Star
@radicalappdev

Here is an idea - open recorded video in Oculus Gallery, then close the app, connect HMD to the PC, copy that same video and see if it plays. I think that's how I got videos working before I updated to 3.58.5

fariazz
Expert Protege
The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)
Virtual Reality Mini-Degree - Learn to code in Unity and build 15 VR games and experiences