Custom Oculus Home Lighting (and Blender 2.8) — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Custom Oculus Home Lighting (and Blender 2.8)

I have been wrangling with a problem implementing emissive lighting on my textures in a custom home for the last week and am hoping someone can shed some light (pun intended). 

I have 'Oculus_Wall' type textures working well, reacting to the Internal Lighting slider, but the same node setup on custom textures without the 'oculus' tag does not react to light sliders when I export as a glb from Blender 2.8.

I've come to a standstill after trying the following test. Using the 'Cafe' custom home example, I noticed that the wood textures used emissive light that reacted to the Internal Lighting slider. I imported the Cafe GLB into Blender 2.8, then exported it back out with no changes. This process stopped the wood textures reacting to the internal light slider.

I'm assuming this is probably a bug of the GITF implementation for Blender, but wondered if anyone has succeeded in implementing this variable lighting with a Blender workflow, and if so, what steps am I missing?

Any help, examples, or pointers to discussions on implementing lighting within Oculus home appreciated. 

Comments

• Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    I was able to get it to to work using the below. I use a separate emmisve node setup for each emmisive png. Also, I cannot use one map for the base color and a different one for emissive in the same node, although that works for non home .glb's. Hope this helps. Took me days of trial and error and trying to get the imported cafe to work.

Result (Windows and lanterns are separate emmisive nodes):

• RetroRocketRetroRocket Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the feedback, the lamps look great. I hadn't used the Khronos gitf metallic node. In blender 2.8, rather Ive been using the Principled BSDF and a separate emission node. I'll give this a go and feed back here.
  • RetroRocketRetroRocket Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    OMG! It worked! Not on my first attempt though. Then I noticed you has set the BaseColorFactor, MetalicRoughness and EmissiveFactor all to shades of grey. This was the secret sauce. I'd been experimenting with similar on the BSDF setup for 2 weeks with no outcome other than a variety of coloured emissive cubes - your help got me the results within minutes. Thanks! Glowing walls, posters + good looking lights are now on the horizon.

(and now I need to go back to the BSDF, just to see if I can get that working)

• Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    No problem. They did not do us any favors with the current home setup. Metallic does not work correctly and emmisive is a bitch to get going. Glad I could help!
  • SpudHeadSpudHead Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hi Joker and Retro. I’m new at 3D modeling but I love the idea of building my own home for VR. I’ve managed to get models in for the custom homes but I haven’t managed to get emissive or transparent materials to work. I’ve read your posts and I can’t find how to get the glTF metallic roughness into the node editor in Blender 2.8. Where is it? Is it an add-on? I don’t really even need to have them react to the variable light, just emissive and/or transparent is fine, although I’ll probably want to do that anyway. Can you help out a lowly noob?

thanks in advance.
  • Skyfall2050Skyfall2050 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Could you plase share a small oculus home with an emissive object, i simply cant make it work.
  • SpudHeadSpudHead Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I’m not at my PC now, but I can tell you that you need to have an image texture for it to work. I just created an 8x8 pixel jpg in whatever color I wanted the emission to be then plugged that into an emissive node then plugged that into the output node. That’s all you need, nothing else. Let me know if it works or if you still need a sample. Good luck. Still haven’t figured out transparency though :-(