RE: Oculus GO — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

RE: Oculus GO

VinhlyVinhly Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello all,

I have a few questions.

1) We have created an App using unity and it is not supported with screencasting. Is there any way we can make it able to be screen casted? are there set criteria to use when creating apps to make them screen castable?

2) Is there a way for the app to start on turning on the GO? so locking the GO to only be used for the app we created?

3) Is there a way to remotely control the Oculus GO, say if we needed to install updates or anything like that?

Best regards,

Vinh

Comments

• JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    edited March 29
    I think the screen casting is in Beta / early stages.  We were able to cast from a Go to the phone it is connected to - make sure the Go is in developer mode.  There is (or at least was) a cast option on the bottom menu.  We were attempting to get the display casted onto a larger screen / monitor for demonstration purposes.  We did successfully get the phone that was running the Go cast, to screen mirror onto the TV (only on iPhone using macs airplay) - however the quality was very poor due to the double compression (i think- not a video expert).  Hope that helps!  I don't think the functionality you asked for in 2) is there yet but people have definitely requested it.  As far as updating the Go remotely, you can at least get the app to update by increasing the version number, if it detects a higher version remotely it will download and update to an app.  Not sure on GO software specifically.
  • Thunderbox.EntThunderbox.Ent Posts: 53 Oculus Start Member
    edited April 1
    For casting you need to enable it in your app's dashboard (in Platform Services -> Sharing App Content).

You also need to make sure that your graphics memory is unprotected in the Unity player settings.
  • kraftitkraftit Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Where can I get the above option of - Sharing App Content ? Is it in the Oculus Go device or Unity project settings?
    I am using Unreal Engine 4.20.3, and I cant find the option to Cast in the project settings anywhere.

• JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    kraftit said:
    Where can I get the above option of - Sharing App Content ? Is it in the Oculus Go device or Unity project settings?
    I am using Unreal Engine 4.20.3, and I cant find the option to Cast in the project settings anywhere.

I had a cast option on the Oculus navigation menu at the bottom, with the headset in developer mode.  It's the dark grey menu with home library etc - under the sharing tab.
  • Schneider21Schneider21 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    kraftit said:

I don't believe you can cast from an Unknown Source build. You'd have to have it pushed through the store, even if it's just for Keys Only distribution, in order to screen share.

Which really blows if you're trying to have people test your in-development app/game and want to watch them use the thing while you take notes on what needs done. Thankfully, you can use scrcpy to get something serviceable for this use case.