Best practice/procedure for working with grabbers (Customise OVR, or create own) — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Best practice/procedure for working with grabbers (Customise OVR, or create own)

Tset_TsyungTset_Tsyung Posts: 7
NerveGear
Hey All,

(I'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible (I have a habit of going on a bit...)

When creating your professional project, do many of you simply start with the Oculus OVR controller and Avatar objects and then simply hack, re-write and modify them to their hearts content?  Or do you start with the minimum for Pos/Rot tracking and then custom build from there?

To that end, I'm trying to understand how a lot of the oculus tracking and visual feedback (hands) happens so that I can have more options open to me a I go.  I've already got my head around how the grabbers work, but I was wondering what the best way to understand how the hands, avatars and colliders are moved by the Oculus drivers.  Is there a decent resource that anyone can recommend? Or is it a case of just having to reverse engineer it some more...

Many thanks.  I appreciate any feedback.

Mike

Comments

• JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    I start with OVR, Avatar, and often CrossVRmanager.  From there, look behind the scenes on how they accomplish things, or you can tag a dev on here to ask where specific things are set up.  I've seen people ask about avatar materials etc. and a dev can tell you exactly where that is set sometimes.  But yeah, hope my two cents helped.
  • Tset_TsyungTset_Tsyung Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hi JacksonGordon,

Many thanks, yeah that does help.  Is that how you do it when tackling your own projects, even after knowing how it works?

I would like to understand more about how things work behind the scenes.  Like I said, I "reverse-engineered" how the grabbers worked (taught me a lot about quaternions, that did, lol), but I'm a little lost about tracking space, the guardian system, and other best practices.  I've tried going through the developer documentation but haven't been able to find too much about those features - knowing my, I probably accidentally skimmed right over it.

If anyone has any links on these subjects I've be ever so grateful to go and read them.

Mike
  • JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    The documentation is pretty good, but it can be kind of cumbersome to navigate.  Here is a link to OVR related functions and other handy Unity tools:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-utilities-overview/
      The left hand nav bar can get you to other more specific areas of interest.  Things like the guardian system are kind of secret for now I think because that is somewhat proprietary for Oculus.  They do give access to a lot of other tools, or after some time they will probably release more code for guardian-style functions.

As far as our own projects we have some unique scripts but they largely interact with the prefabs or example scripts Oculus provides.  Also we tweak the provided scripts to suit our needs also, not sure if this is the best practice.
  • Tset_TsyungTset_Tsyung Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Thank you so much for your feedback.  I really appreciate the help.

I'll go and check out those latest concepts now - thanks again XD

MIke