cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

motorsep
Rising Star
What's the consensus about UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

When I tried one of the later previews, performance was horrible with ES2 and ES3.1. Since there is no 4.22 release with current Oculus integrations on Oculus github, I assume the reason for it is not that Oculus is busy prepping for Rift S / Quest launch, but because 4.22 performs worse than 4.21.x.

Please enlighten me 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

motorsep
Rising Star
@NinjaGaijin Any chance to get (semi)official response ? :blush:

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

What's the consensus about UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

When I tried one of the later previews, performance was horrible with ES2 and ES3.1. Since there is no 4.22 release with current Oculus integrations on Oculus github, I assume the reason for it is not that Oculus is busy prepping for Rift S / Quest launch, but because 4.22 performs worse than 4.21.x.

Please enlighten me 🙂

As I posted already 4.22 has terrible performance on the Go. I'm guessing the same for Quest? I'm really hoping Oculus can fix this (or push Epic to fix it via a hotfix if their side) as there are lots of nice new 4.22 features I was hoping to use 🙂

I've only briefly tested on the Rift and it seemed ok there but my project is more mobile performance so probably wouldn't notice a drop in performance anyway.

motorsep
Rising Star

As I posted already 4.22 has terrible performance on the Go. I'm guessing the same for Quest? I'm really hoping Oculus can fix this (or push Epic to fix it via a hotfix if their side) as there are lots of nice new 4.22 features I was hoping to use 🙂

I've only briefly tested on the Rift and it seemed ok there but my project is more mobile performance so probably wouldn't notice a drop in performance anyway.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/understanding-gameplay-latency-for-oculus-quest-oculus-go-and-gear... check the "UE4 and RHIThread" part as it relates to 4.22

You can skip new rendering pipeline. Quoting from the discord:

r.rhicmdbypass
requires: r.rhithread.enable

I haven't tried it though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/understanding-gameplay-latency-for-oculus-quest-oculus-go-and-gear... check the "UE4 and RHIThread" part as it relates to 4.22

You can skip new rendering pipeline. Quoting from the discord:

r.rhicmdbypass
requires: r.rhithread.enable

I haven't tried it though.

Hey thanks for posting!
I tried both:
r.rhicmdbypass 0
&
r.rhicmdbypass 1

but no fix. Setting it to 1 did seems a few ms faster however still a few ms slower than 4.21 😞

If I set r.rhithread.enable to any value other than 0 the app crashes on start
(I'm setting them at runtime on begin play with the execute console command node.

motorsep
Rising Star
@aussieburgerVR Did you by chance report your findings to Oculus (using their bug tracker) ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

@aussieburgerVR Did you by chance report your findings to Oculus (using their bug tracker) ?

No I didn't yet - I'm just double checking it on the new oculus 4.22 branch first

Anonymous
Not applicable
ah I'm getting this crash on the oculus branch:
will try to report the performance issue tomorrow.