Matt Conte - Developer Relations Engineering Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I’m Matt Conte, and I
run our Developer Relations Engineering team at Oculus HQ in California. My
team works closely with VR developers on a variety of aspects from performance
analysis to VR design guidance. I came from the games industry, where I started
writing GameBoy Color games in Z80 assembly. Most recently, I worked as an
architect and principal engineer on Activision's cross-platform engine technology,
helping ship games on iOS all the way up through PS4.

I like classic video games,
I’ve written several console emulators, and I own Centipede and Q*bert arcade
machines. @!#?@!

Ask me anything!

Twitter: @mattconte

Reminder: There may be a slight delay from when you send your comment to when you see it in the thread. Don't worry! We've received your question.

52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there, fusedotcore. Locomotion is a point of active research in VR and at Oculus. I don't think there will ever be a “one size fits all” solution that will work perfectly for everyone; what we've come to understand is that a buffet-style set of options tends to open up content to the broadest audience possible. Teleport is certainly one of the most comfortable locomotion methods, but as you point out, may not be the most intuitive to users who don't have gaming experience. In this case, i would recommend some light tutorial explaining the controls, with diagrams rather than button names. It's difficult for users to locate, for instance, the A button on the controller when they don't know where it is on the face, or if it's on the left or right controller! A good rule of thumb is to apply the type of locomotion that best fits your application and intended audience.

For more information about enterprise VR check out the new Oculus for Business page we just launched this week at F8 - https://www.oculusforbusiness.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice to meet you, jamesoloughlin! Quest documentation will become available at product launch, keep your eyes peeled over at developer.oculus.com.

The Quest itself supports up to 25 feet x 25 feet experiences, and your application can scale up to any size within that. More specifics around play area recommendations will be posted in our Quest documentation later this month.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh no! Sorry to hear about this issue, Neontop. My team is actively working on resolving this issue right now, and hope to have an update in the very near future.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pleased to meet your acquaintance, Azrayel.

1. Atlas your textures, keep your draw call counts low, and keep your fragment shaders relatively simple. Ideally, you're going to want to ship on all available 6DOF hardware, so keep that in mind as an optimization target.
  2. For Oculus Quest, we are looking for titles that a) deliver great value to our users, b) show off the talents of the developers, and c) are polished and really show off why VR is an amazing new platform. This doesn't mean we don't want weird or niche indie content — we do, come at us with it!

AlanOToole
Adventurer

mconte said:

Howdy, Mr. Alan O'Toole! The Quest is quite a powerful machine, and we find that it can handle a lot more complex compute than we had been anticipating being able to squeeze out of it! We always try and optimize loading times whenever possible, since you want your users to get into the exciting content as quickly as possible. We just posted a new blog with some great Oculus Quest dev best-practices and we'll be sharing more resources on the developer site when the hardware launches.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-developer-best-practices-the-s...

That's so great and exciting to hear! That all sounds good and I love that point. Thanks so much for sharing that article! I cannot wait to dig into the Quest and code!

Have a great weekend!

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
Hi Matt,
Do you have any info regarding the number of CPU core used for VR on Quest vs GearVR? I mean since Quest has no phone function I suspect we have more free cores for VR game/app which will boost performance on Quest a bit. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, Casey!

1. The Oculus Quest itself has a headphone jack and a USB-C port for charging. You can find a bunch of tech specs in the developer blog post that just went up here. We'll have additional documentation available later this month.
  2. The documentation will be different than Rift and Oculus Go, although the Oculus Quest shares an SDK with the Oculus Go, and a ton of the design choices and sensibilities you will want for Rift will apply for Oculus Quest.
  3. We are currently finalizing the footprint of the OS on the Oculus Quest, so i don't have a final number for you, but there will be plenty of room for games! The Oculus Quest is a great device to dev on— just one cable and a laptop is all you need!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well hi there, #slashwoo5ever! There's so many games out there, it's hard to think of the perfect mashup. What about a kart racer combined with PAC-MAN where you collect pellets and power up. I'm a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, which is a genre mashup of two of my favorite games. I recently saw a mashup of Crazy Taxi and Snake, where the vehicle you drove gets longer and longer the more people you pick up...

casey_kawamura
Explorer
Does it offer Bluetooth? How many devices?

charlesvarmint
Honored Guest
Hi Matt,

Really happy to see open outreach with developers like this! Thank you for fielding questions.

Regarding cross-platform, what's the outlook on OpenXR? Will runtimes for Rift and Quest be available for the general public? Also, would love to hear whether Oculus intends on supporting on the second component of the spec, the Device Plugin Interface, once it's nailed down.