cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Avatars on Google Daydream

pintiliciuc_oct
Honored Guest
Do they work on google daydream? If they do, what do i have to do to make them work?

7 REPLIES 7

polka_panda
Protege
I know nothing, but if I had to guess: they don't work there.

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
So I can't answer this directly, but I can speak to the extent to which I've validated the use of Oculus Avatars outside of their definition of "cross-platform." (i.e. OpenVR)
Since you're ultimately running on an Android device, the .aars you need to run the Avatar SDK will still build correctly in your project. I think you might even be able to plug in user-specific User IDs at runtime and they will load up correctly, but I was anticipating having the use the static set of 12 avatars that they stipulate for use in cross-platform integration.
I have put the Avatars SDK (and just the Avatars SDK, as of v1.5) into a virgin Unity project, plugged in a User ID, and saw it load up correctly. Just a Third Person instance, sitting in front of a stock MainCamera.
I haven't gotten as far as remotely piping some pose packets into it yet to see if it moves. But, within that limited validation, it works.
Big caveat: my test device was a Galaxy S8, which you can probably consider an ambiguous data point, since it is both a GearVR device and a Daydream device. I can't say what would happen if you did the same with an S7 or below, or a Pixel.
It's a back burner ticket at the office so I can update you as I learn more about this.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
Looking back on our development history, we have anecdotal evidence to suggest that multiplayer builds of our app fail when trying to call Platform or Avatar SDK stuff on a Pixel. We were doing flat (non-VR) builds of our app on Galaxy S devices and that we would see the other networked Avatars moving around, but not on non-Galaxy S (i.e. GearVR-compatible) devices.
I'll have more for you next week.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1

Imeve360
Honored Guest
Following. We'd really like to display Oculus avatars on plain ol' mobile screens -- not even in a headset. Being able to build the avatar package into generic Unity Android would be super super helpful.

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hey folks, we've been actively working on this and will have an update soon, for both Android VR (e.g. Daydream) and good old 2d phones. Stay tuned!

Imeve360
Honored Guest
Hey Ross ... any update on this? We're trying to plan for some releases later this summer, and need to make a decision on whether to integrate a third party avatar system. Any hints for us as to when the "good old 2d phone" functionality might be available?

MagneticWest
Explorer
@Ross_Beef ... any update? We could really use this capability as well.