cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to run Quest test build on device without yet having an accepted pitch?

jphilipp
Protege
Hi! Is it possible to upload one's build to one's app channel (say, Alpha) without yet having an accepted pitch, or otherwise test it on the device?

I'm getting the following response from the Oculus command line tool when I try, even though I tried to define the app as Quest in as many places as I knew of (but not all seem to have the option):

"ERROR: You uploaded a build for platform Mobil but the app's platform is Rift"

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

bcoyle
Adventurer
You're uploading the app where? You should be able to put the headset into developer mode and push the build directly into the headset for testing.

jphilipp
Protege
You're uploading the app where? 

I meant uploading into the store Alpha channel, where it can then be shared with some select users (and me), while not being published.

> You should be able to put the headset into developer mode and push the build directly into the headset for testing.

Right. I believe I may need a USB-C to USB cable for the Quest for that? I've ordered one earlier today.

I'll then follow the steps at https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/mobile-device-setup-quest/

bcoyle
Adventurer
I see, I don't have experience with uploading builds to the developer portal. I see what you mean that there's no Quest option when creating a new app.

You're right that you need a USB-C to USB cable (unless your PC has a USB-C port)

jphilipp
Protege
Thanks!

jphilipp
Protege
Ok, an update. USB-C to USB works. I then have to verify the connection, and clear the Manifest from the "Oculus" entry in the Editor window, and can build from Unity, resulting in "succeeded".

However, my project only shows darkness, and three Oculus-native loading dots from within Quest. I hear the environment audio of my project but nothing will display. There is also no error message anywhere to be seen, and occasionally Quest tells me my project stopped working.

What can be done to investigate this? (I tried ticking the "Development Build" and "Script Debugging" options to no avail.)

For what it's worth, I'm, using stable Unity 2019.1.0f2 with .NET4. I did not tick the "Enable ARM64 support" in the Oculus Build Settings [Edit: enabling that didn't help either]. My Oculus ID, Bundle version and identifiers are entered.