cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Documentation is live!

mouse_bear
Retired Support
View the latest documentation for developing on Oculus Quest here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/
15 REPLIES 15

JoeyVRSF
Honored Guest
@NinjaGaijin
I just submitted a ticket for help with Oculus Quest Documentation / Unity Integration. The sample unity scenes seem to not be working correctly on the Quest... the app crashes many times and I my view is obstructed by what appears to be an avatar on my face.. I can see teeth and eyes from the inside of the avatar if I look in certain directions... very strange indeed.  The locomotion sample sends me falling into an abyss.  The controller sample shows the Oculus rift touch controllers and not the Quest controllers.  The only scene that really worked was the Avatar Grab scene, but even in that scene the shadows were all pixelated.  I need some [working] sample scenes to work with in order to even start any kind of development.  Some step by step tutorial documentation would also be helpful.  The documentation is kind of all over the place and appears to be just a rehash of Rift / Go instructions... not very helpful and not specific enough.  Please help us!

ColdSpike
Explorer

JoeyVRSF said:

@NinjaGaijin
I just submitted a ticket for help with Oculus Quest Documentation / Unity Integration. The sample unity scenes seem to not be working correctly on the Quest... the app crashes many times and I my view is obstructed by what appears to be an avatar on my face.. I can see teeth and eyes from the inside of the avatar if I look in certain directions... very strange indeed.  The locomotion sample sends me falling into an abyss.  The controller sample shows the Oculus rift touch controllers and not the Quest controllers.  The only scene that really worked was the Avatar Grab scene, but even in that scene the shadows were all pixelated.  I need some [working] sample scenes to work with in order to even start any kind of development.  Some step by step tutorial documentation would also be helpful.  The documentation is kind of all over the place and appears to be just a rehash of Rift / Go instructions... not very helpful and not specific enough.  Please help us!

I haven't tried porting or building anything for my Quest just yet, but I have to agree. The documentation that is supposed to help point developers in the right direction for VR/ Oculus development is kind of a mess right now. Oculus Integration has far too many scripts, examples and prefabs to know which one is the right one whereas before all you really needed was Oculus Utilities and things seemed simpler.

It would also help if there were guides on what should and should not be done for the Quest as far as technical specs are concerned and not just requirements for what our apps and games need in order to be eligible for the Quest Store.

greengiant83
Sightseer
I did a build with just the SampleFramework/Usage/StartScene and when I launch it on the headset it goes to black screen with the three dots for a few seconds then just dumps me back in the oculus home screen. Logcat has an error about
No entitlements found,

as well as one about 
No default service found in application

What gives?

Marbas
Honored Guest

I did a build with just the SampleFramework/Usage/StartScene and when I launch it on the headset it goes to black screen with the three dots for a few seconds then just dumps me back in the oculus home screen. Logcat has an error about
No entitlements found,

as well as one about 
No default service found in application

What gives?

I had the same problem...
1. Have you set the minimum API level to 19?
2. Gradle build doesn't seem to work. Switch to internal build system instead.
Worked for me.

jaaaaan
Honored Guest
Will there be any API for accessing data from the tracking? I.e. the SLAM keypoints, or even a spatial mesh (equivalent to https://github.com/Microsoft/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity/wiki/Spatial-Mapping )?

smilingrob
Honored Guest
The Unity Haptics page https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/unity-haptics/ accidentally has has UE4 blueprints information, instead of Unity API information.
5pfrbtaou1ze.jpg

davido_tucciaro
Protege

JoeyVRSF said:

@NinjaGaijin

Similar issue. Teleporting is a bit off as well and makes me fly off the map. The controllers though are showing the Quest and Rift S Controllers. 

We definitely need some nice step by step videos or tutorials. 

josecatena
Honored Guest

JoeyVRSF said:

@NinjaGaijin
 my view is obstructed by what appears to be an avatar on my face.. I can see teeth and eyes from the inside of the avatar if I look in certain directions... very strange indeed. 

To solve this you have to uncheck "Enable Boby" option in Ovr Avatar component in the Local Avatar GameObject.

JoeyVRSF said:

@NinjaGaijin
 The locomotion sample sends me falling into an abyss.  

I have the same problem...It's driving me crazy!

SuperFreq
Explorer
 @NinjaGaijin
I have a ticket submitted. I am having issues getting an empty Quest project in Unreal packaging. I continue to get errors.
The quick start guide is great, but could use more information on how to get the correct Android SDK/NDK/JDK components installed. Android Studio does not install everything I need and I get an error using the suggested SDK v25 since it does not want to use NDK v19. I installed NDK v14 and it mostly builds, it just won't package with Gradle. It complains about the JDK version.
UEDeployAndroid.MakeApk: ====5/29/2019 3:01:50 PM====PERFORMING FINAL APK PACKAGE OPERATION================================================
UEDeployAndroid.CreateRunGradle: 
UEDeployAndroid.CreateRunGradle: Creating rungradle.bat to work around commandline length limit (using unused drive letter Y:)
UEDeployAndroid.RunCommandLineProgramWithExceptionAndFiltering: Making .apk with Gradle...
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: 
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: * What went wrong:
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: Could not determine java version from '12.0.1'.
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: * Try:
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
UEDeployAndroid.FilterStdOutErr: * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org
Log.WriteException: ==============================================================================

Help would very much be appreciated. I assume I am making it more difficult than I need to. 🙂