cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting issue, Unknown Sources unable to cast

bcoyle
Adventurer
This seems to have been an ongoing issue with Oculus headsets and casting. No explanation has been given as to why this doesn't work. Is there any way to get a private projects to cast from the headset without having to publicly publish an app? I'm finding it difficult to test projects with other users and be able to see what problems or comments they have without a visual.
24 REPLIES 24

jamesgehringer
Honored Guest

bcoyle said:

This seems to have been an ongoing issue with Oculus headsets and casting. No explanation has been given as to why this doesn't work. Is there any way to get a private projects to cast from the headset without having to publicly publish an app? I'm finding it difficult to test projects with other users and be able to see what problems or comments they have without a visual.

I am having the same issue. I would like to be able to see what a playtester is doing and be able to demo the projects for other people not playing. Is there a way to cast these or at least get the "Unkown Sources" since I know where they came from?

andybak
Explorer
Seems to be related to the fact that you need an App ID and for this you need to get your concept reviewed.

However it's not clear what that means for people developings apps that aren't intended for the store. The enterprise programme isn't yet live (and that still doesn't cover a host of use-cases that live in the gap between "public apps" and "we're an enterprise!")

For example research apps, teaching app development (useful to cast student's work), art and experimental apps for public spaces etc etc.

Oculus - can we get some guidance on this? It's a huge feature to leave out. Hacking screen casting via adb is possible but it's really not desirable compared to the native casting/

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a training app in development and need to see what the testing subject sees. This needs to be resolved Oculus....

RonnyBullet
Expert Protege
Already asked a couple of times (here and on Twitter) but no one seems to care

tvallier
Explorer
Add me to the list of people working on an app which needs casting in order to test. 

bcoyle
Adventurer
I've added this as a feature request to the Quest feedback forum - https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37878559-ability-to-cast-unknown.... Probably wont get as much traction as the more consumer facing issues.

bcoyle
Adventurer
duplicate

Spartanoid
Explorer
For private apps (i.e. not for store release) casting is essential. It's difficult to direct a client around a scene when you can't see where they are. I can't see the logic in not allowing this.

tvallier
Explorer
Still nothing from Oculus. In the interim, we've resorted to using this tool for wireless mirroring from a Quest to a laptop. https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy