cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity > Inputfield UI turns Quest black for a moment.

lostsomfan
Protege
On Oculus Go we found out they didn't give access to android keyboard (which standard android provides with), so it pops up a green "error" in lower area of headset and we solved it with our own virtual keyboard - anyway... In Quest when you click and hightlight / focus an inputfield - it turns Quest totally black and starting to "fake load" something. Anyone got a solution for this error? 

Unity 2018.3 -
10 REPLIES 10

davido_tucciaro
Protege
Similar issue for Quest 

auroraland-dev
Honored Guest
Agreed, working on Quest right now -- selecting a TextMeshPro InputField or a regular Unity InputField pops up the loading ellipsis and turns the screen to black, until I point away from where it is (still in the black screen) and click again to deselect, and that takes the black screen away but not the ellipsis.

yunhan0
Explorer
Yes, it's better to write a customised input field to get rid of this problem.
VR UIKit has a virtual keyboard that could work with their customised input field. I've tested it, and it works like a charm.

davido_tucciaro
Protege

yunhan0 said:

Yes, it's better to write a customised input field to get rid of this problem.
VR UIKit has a virtual keyboard that could work with their customised input field. I've tested it, and it works like a charm.

I am using that exact kit for our form and it still has the issue. Can you post a picture of your unity setup? 

yunhan0
Explorer
@"davido.tucciarone" There’s mobile input and keyboard in the latest version. Use the keyboard and input in Prefabs/Mobile folder instead of the keyboard in Prefabs/Keyboard folder. The mobile keyboard only works with their CustomisedInputField. You can have a look at the example FormKeyboard-L1 in the Prefabs/Mobile/Keyboard folder.

Viscoci
Explorer

lostsomfan
Protege
i used a button instead of inputfield, when i click on button/fake_inputfield it targets the child text component so it acts like a inputfield. good for now (looks identical) but they should fix the real inputfield bug

treehousenorris
Explorer
I tried editing the AndroidManifest.xml to prevent the Quest from trying to access the non-existent native keyboard, although even that method proves difficult on android tablets, but to no avail.
<activity ...
android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden ...
or
android:windowSoftInputMode="stateHidden" ...

treehousenorris
Explorer
Here is a concept I've used for an android webapp to programmatically close the soft keyboard when submitting a form (without an event.stopPropagation kind of thing):
<form>
<input type="email" placeholder="Your Email" [disabled]="isSubmitting"/>
<input type="password" placeholder="Your Password" [disabled]="isSubmitting"/>
<button [disabled]="isSubmitting" (click)="submitForm($event)">LOG IN</button>
</form>
<script>
submitForm(event: any): void {
var elem = event.target;
elem.focus(); // If a form field, draw focus to the submitBtn so the soft keyboard will close
elem.blur(); // Blur the standalone field so the soft keyboard will close or
// remove highlight from the submitBtn
isSubmitting = true;
//...
}
</script>