cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Sources and Casting

Geomedia
Explorer
We are developing a non-distributed app that will only be installed locally on an Oculus Go.  We want to cast this app but are unable to because the app resides in the "Unknown Sources" tab which makes the casting feature unusable. How can this be accomplished?
29 REPLIES 29

ERap320
Honored Guest

@Geomedia

You need to have an application that is residing in your release channel to enable casting feature on our platform.

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, I am still in the early development phases and don't know about the channels you are talking about, but I undestand it has to do with deployment to the store.
To make it clear, are you saying there is absolutely no way to cast an application (with the included feature) that is purely an "unknown sources", and doesn't have a published previous version?

campmdabt
Honored Guest
Please answer the above question. There is no information available to developers regarding casting, and the walled garden mindset Oculus has taken leaves developers in the cold. We need to know what is happening and why, otherwise we get customers yelling at us when unexpected things happen because we don't get details about how features work.

ThatOtherVRGuy
Protege
crickets

Schneider21
Expert Protege
Yeah, I really do want to be able to cast from Unknown Sources. But at least knowing what, specifically, the rule is and how I could go through the right process of being able to cast my in-development app (scrcpy works for certain use cases, but not ideal when non-tech users need to be able to demo something without a developer present) would be nice.

bcoyle
Adventurer
I just ran into this issue with the Quest and developing some test scenes in Unity. Really wish I could cast my projects as its impossible to review what a vr participant is viewing.

jamesgehringer
Honored Guest

Geomedia said:

We are developing a non-distributed app that will only be installed locally on an Oculus Go.  We want to cast this app but are unable to because the app resides in the "Unknown Sources" tab which makes the casting feature unusable. How can this be accomplished?

I am in the same boat, but with the Quest systems. Is there a way to move these internal apps from Unknown Sources?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geomedia said:

I am in the same boat, but with the Quest systems. Is there a way to move these internal apps from Unknown Sources?

Same here. This really impacts a lot of developers Oculus.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just throwing my hat in the ring too. This would help a lot with testing gameplay prototypes.

RonnyBullet
Expert Protege
Have the same problem, with go at least we could use the release channel of the store, but on quest every pitch gets rejected because the app doesn’t target the consumer... -.-