cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Grabbed Objects jitter (Unity)

mmchickenshack
Protege
Using Unity 2018.4.5 and Oculus 1.38

When I hold an object (simple scene with just a cube) in my hand, then the movement of this grabbed cube is very jittery and not smooth at all.

Using OVRPlayerController with LocalAvatar in TrackingSpace and AvatarGrabberLeft and Right inside this LocalAvatar.
I set the Fixed TimeStep in the Project Settings to 1/72 (0.01388889).

I uploaded a video of this behaviour: https://youtu.be/AoJ_d0d2Dq8

It's not as obvious in the video as it is in VR, but I think you do see the issue at the edges of the cube with the stuttery movement.
Interestingly, when I throw away the cube, the movement is smooth. Also the movement of my hands is smooth, it's only the object I'm grabbing that stutters.

Any idea how I can prevent this?
Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

mmchickenshack
Protege
i‘ve opted to use vrtk 4 now which has none of these problems. it‘s a bit harder to get into, but once it works, it just works. the oculus integration just seems buggy as hell at the moment.

viewport
Protege
Same here... Simple empty scene in Unity and hands jitter so badly on Oculus Quest, I have tried many Fixed TimeStep 1/72    1/60   1/36  etc...  hope there is a fix of this soon.

Sawrr
Honored Guest
I had a similar issue -- disabling VSync seemed to fix it for me

miyam0t0
Honored Guest
fweacsdvzmy5.png

Adding hands to LeftHandAnchor solved it for me. (Don't forget tracking space as Parent Transform)

rc51rider
Honored Guest

I found out that if you check "Parent Held Transform" on both AvatarGrabberLeft/Right, the object stops jittering while grabbed. Unfortunately this also produced a strange misalignment of the hands while moving them around.

Thank you!   This fixed it for me also!  I spent an hour trying different settings.

Goon2_0
Honored Guest

I set the Fixed TimeStep in the Project Settings to 1/72 (0.01388889).

You just saved me from going bald. I spent hours in Unity trying to solve the jitter before seeing your post!

Anonymous
Not applicable
TimeStep in the Project Settings to 1/72 (0.01388889) fixed it for my Oculus Quest as well.
Thanks buddies.

Do you know after so long if a solution has been found?

cibernaio
Protege

Do you know after so long if a solution has been found?