cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVROverlay in Unity glitches on Quest.

rygo6
Honored Guest
I just downloaded the latest Oculus Integration 1.39 and built the OVROverlay example to my quest. But when it is showing the overlay functionality the framebuffer glitches. It's hard to describe, I can try to take a video of it through the lens if no one has encountered this before. But I assume since I am running an unedited example someone else has to have the same issue. It looks almost like VHS distortion or when a mpg stream gets a corrupted bit, it is subtle but constant. I do not think it is coming from Unity, it is coming from something lower level. 

Is there something more I should know about the OVROverlay in Unity to make it work? Does anyone else have it working with zero issues?

I am on Unity 2018.4.7f1
5 REPLIES 5

Corysia
Expert Protege

rygo6
Honored Guest
So just recreating an OVROverlay sample from scratch seems to work just fine. Don't know what is wrong with the shipped sample scene, but would be good from someone on Oculus's side to investigate it.

dmarcos
Honored Guest
I'm having problems with OVROverlay that are similar to the described above. I'm on Oculus Integration 1.40 and Unity 2019.2.6f1. The OVROverlay scene from the Sample Framework works fine on Rift but glitches visually on Quest (visual artifacts and screen tearing). I noticed that the OVROverlaySample script has hard-coded resolutions for Rift and GearVR to calculate the size of the overlay texture. Unfortunately, changing the values to the Quest resolution (2880 x 1600) doesn't fix the issue. Anyone else with the same problem with a working solution? Thanks folks!

daniel_gorgen_9
Honored Guest

dmarcos said:

I'm having problems with OVROverlay that are similar to the described above. I'm on Oculus Integration 1.40 and Unity 2019.2.6f1. The OVROverlay scene from the Sample Framework works fine on Rift but glitches visually on Quest (visual artifacts and fram erate drops). I noticed that the OVROverlaySample script has hard-coded resolutions for Rift and GearVR to calculate the size of the overlay texture. Unfortunately, changing the values to the Quest resolution (2880 x 1600) doesn't fix the issue. Anyone else with the same problem with a working solution? Thanks folks!

Same issue here. Tried several versions and also old oculus integrations. Always get those glitches on the Quest. Any combination of unity version and oculus integration version that actually works with Quest?

AndyDeveloper
Explorer
The glitch went away for me after I made a change in OVROverlaySample.cs (line 281). I replaced "renderTargetWidth * 2" with  "(renderTargetWidth * 1.4f)" and did the same for the height. This also improved the frame rate significantly.