cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Feature Request] Edit in Play Mode for Oculus Quest in Unity

justinomalley
Explorer
I've been building an application for Go until recently, but after trying the Quest am seriously considering changing my platform because of the 6DoF. My Go development process so far has been like this: I use a Rift hooked up to my PC to do most of my Unity development (because of the perk of editing in play mode), then build to the Quest and make sure my build is bug-free before pushing it to my main branch. What I'm wondering is if we'll ever be able to use the Quest hooked directly up to Unity instead of needing to use the Rift for that purpose. Do other people want this feature?
35 REPLIES 35

vannorman
Honored Guest
+1

Corysia
Expert Protege
+1

+10000!   But I don't think it's going to happen.  They never did this for the Go.  And Unity doesn't support it for Daydream or Cardboard.  Maybe the next version of the Quest will.  I completely agree with Mike from VROasis that Facebook/Oculus should create a version of the Quest that can both be tethered to a PC for Rift-like games and run standalone Android.  One headset, multiple markets.

InfinaVR
Honored Guest
+1

I would be happy with an emulated version (similar to the Google Cardboard) which lets you simulate head movement by click-dragging the mouse along with some key presses in Preview mode.  It's not ideal, but would be a good way to test some interaction like menus, button presses, etc., without a full build.

mattbenic
Protege
@InfinaVR but you can use mouse dragging to look in the editor with the OVR rig's emulator mode.

Also, out of interest, we found that just adding the OpenVR package into our Unity project allowed us to use tethered headsets to preview in play mode. There is literally no other setup, add the OpenVR package from Windows->Package Manager and it just works like magic. We've tested this with a Vive and a Samsung Odyssey.

MikeF
Trustee
@mattbenic
 Does that not work for you using oculus? I've been using a rift in android mode set to build for quest since last year without any problems running in editor

mattbenic
Protege
@MikeF it works fine for me. I was confirming the drag simulation works to @InfinaVR
as they mentioned not being able to do it. I just mentioned using other headsets as a potential solution for them as well.

bebop_dev
Protege
+1 

Zig420
Protege
+1

bmoodyP3
Protege
+1

chris_banwell_3
Honored Guest
+1