cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Custom Hands - Stutter

DemonGamesLab
Protege
I have been trying to work out how to implement the custom hands in Unity. I got it mostly working, except the hands are very buggy when moving. I tried to search through google, reading forums / watching videos but can not seem to find a solution. I did set the frames to 90 in the time settings and while that did improve it, it is still very laggy.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, does anyone have any info they could share?

Thanks.

Jay.
19 REPLIES 19

dalekvan
Honored Guest
I'm also trying to do this, and looking at the Custom Hands scene provided with the Oculus Sample Framework, I've noticed that the left hand positions seem tied to some of the wrong buttons. For example, make a fist with your left hand, then extend your thumb to make a thumbs-up gesture. Instead of the thumb getting raised, the middle, ring, and pinky fingers extend. The right hand responds correctly to gestures. Looking at the animator attached to each hand, there are differences on the Thumb layer, so I'm guessing that could be it. Let me know if you are seeing the same thing!

dalekvan
Honored Guest
OK, I created a new project in Unity 2019.2 and imported the latest Oculus Integration from the Asset Store. When I first ran the Custom Hands scene, my bug was fixed -- but the hand models were higher res and had a metallic gold look to them, and I saw the very laggy behavior I think you are talking about. The lag was half a second to a second in the editor. I tested some other scenes, then came back to the Custom Hands scene, and the model had reverted to the lower res white hands, and the lag was gone. I have no idea what's going on here.

DemonGamesLab
Protege
That is very strange, I havent experienced all of that before. I am just getting the bad lag when moving. Not really sure I can help you, you should probably post your own question detailing all of this. Maybe someone knows something. I still havent found an answer for the lag must be going on a week now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed this problem in 2019.x

Works fine in 2018 LTS

DemonGamesLab
Protege
I really don't want to roll back tho. : / still no word from Oculus yet.

Ninjaspey
Honored Guest
I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I'm developing a game and, suddenly, it began to bug : hands (custom and avatar) are buggy : when I move them, they don't move smoothly (you can clearly see it when moving fast). I'm using unity 2019.2.10f and oculus integration 1.40 (tried with 1.41 too). I uninstalled everything and installed again, with a blank project but it doesn't change anything. I don't know what to do... :neutral: 

DemonGamesLab
Protege
I know the feeling : / Unfortunately I still have not found a solution either. I have already emailed Oculus and I believe they will get back to us at some point. On the other hand, I will take another look next week at some point and try to find a solution. I will post back here asap if I do figure it out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did anyone find a fix for this? I know that dragging the hand under the hand anchor under the tracking space fixes the lag, but then the hands are positioned weird. I can for example pick things up but the object goes to my 'elbow' instead of where the hand model actually is, 

DemonGamesLab
Protege
Yes, I know. Unfortunately no fix as of yet. Seems many of us have the same issue. This is good though as at some point someone will find a fix and hopefully post back here. On the other hand as I said above, if I find a fix I will post back here.