Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Unreal Integration - v1.41 (10/09/19)

NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 234 Oculus Staff
edited October 16 in Unreal Development

Version 1.41 of our integration for Unreal Engine 4.23 has been released!

The Oculus Integration for Unreal provides support for VR applications that target the Oculus headsets. This integration enables your applications to support stereoscopic rendering, orientation tracking, and positional tracking.

For more information, see our Unreal Engine Developer Guide.
For beginning or casual developers, we recommend the Unreal Engine binary available through Epic’s Launcher: https://www.unrealengine.com/download

Oculus Source Distribution

Note: To access the latest distribution of our Oculus Source, you must log into a subscribed GitHub account first, otherwise you will get a 404 error from the link below.
You can grab the latest version of the Oculus UE4.23 Source here: https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.23

More information about this release can be found here.

New Features

• Enabled late-latching on Quest + Vulkan. This feature can can reduce rendering latency by up to 1 frame. To enable late latching, check the LateLatching checkbox under OculusVR plugin settings.

Integration Changes

• Updated the Oculus Unreal Integration to 1.41.
  • Updated the Platform SDK integration to 1.40.
  • Updated the Audio SDK integration to 1.41.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a controller-updating race condition, which could cause controller movement hiccups if the app hit the FPS target.
  • Fixed a Dash depth compositing issue on UE 4.23.
  • Fixed a pipeline state cache bug under Multiview, which can cause memory leaks and render-thread slow down.

Known Issues

• A significant drop in frame rate occurs when UE4 is not in focus in VR preview mode. To avoid this issue, uncheck the Use Less CPU when in Background in Edit > Editor Preferences > General (left sidebar) > Miscellaneous (left sidebar) > Performance.
  • Exclusive Mode issues: Setting the mirror window to full-screen exclusive mode will not work correctly if the monitor and HMD are connected to different GPUs.
The thread for the previous version (v1.40) can be found here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/80333/oculus-unreal-integration-v1-40-08-29-19
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!

Comments

• NeontopNeontop Posts: 225 Oculus Start Member
    Hello @NinjaGG in the blog "The Latest Social Features for...." it is mentioned  for the Oculus Avatar SDK :
    'We are also adding a new API which provides an expanded model for human animation, taking into account tracked head and hand inputs and simulating the position of the spine, shoulders and elbows. The API provides a physics based body pose inference, taking into account whether a pose is likely and coherent with previous poses. This performant and more accurate representation of the user improves social presence by unlocking body language in a way that doesn’t break immersion. And these new APIs will serve as the single access point for the user pose, with a single, unified rig representing body simulation, lipsync, headset, controller and hand tracking."

Is it included in  that Version 1.41 of your integration for Unreal Engine 4.23 ?
    Thanks for your cooperation.

• aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 239 Oculus Start Member
    Getting a crash on the GO on startup with the following settings:
    * Vulkan + multiview
    whereas:
    * OpenGL3.1 + multiview
    does not crash. Is this expected? (ie: Vulkan still not supported on Go?) Does anyone else have Vulkan working on Go or shouldn't be bother aiming for this?

Side note: Vulkan on Quest is working as expected
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 157 Oculus Start Member
    edited October 20
    I just tested with a project in the 4.23.0 binary from Epic and 4.23 Oculus-VR build. In both Vulkan and multiview work fine on the GO for me.
    side note; i see an almost 18fps drop in a project using Vulkan on the Quest. Haven't found the cause yet.
    MaxArch said:
    I just tested with a project in the 4.23.0 binary from Epic and 4.23 Oculus-VR build. In both Vulkan and multiview work fine on the GO for me.

side note; i see an almost 18fps drop in a project using Vulkan on the Quest. Haven't found the cause yet.
    Good to know thanks - must be something project specific causing it then - perhaps the particle emitters...

Did not notice a frame drop with Vulkan on the Quest with my project but only tested briefly.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,449 Oculus Start Member
    * Vulkan + multiview
    whereas:
    * OpenGL3.1 + multiview
    does not crash. Is this expected? (ie: Vulkan still not supported on Go?) Does anyone else have Vulkan working on Go or shouldn't be bother aiming for this?

Do you have GPU particles in your scene ?
    otorsep said:
    * Vulkan + multiview
    whereas:
    * OpenGL3.1 + multiview

Do you have GPU particles in your scene ?
    Right I do remember you reporting that, I had thought I only had cpu particles, but need to double check that :D
    edited October 20
    edit: removed comment to clean up this thread
    @NinjaGG UE 4.23.1 is out and I am wondering if 4.23.1 + integration is scheduled to appear on Oculus github soon :)
    Hmm.. With any luck, will we get 4.23.1 + Integration update any time soon @NinjaGG ? Thanks
    Well, 4.24 preview 1 is already out in Epic's launcher... Just saying...
    I just went on the Oculus distribution and I saw Oculus-4.31.1 release-1.42.0.....2 days ago..... ;) certainly it will come.

• tpg.sabibo00.questtpg.sabibo00.quest Posts: 25
    NerveGear
    Are Splash Screens broken in this version?  I haven't been able to get them to work.  They weren't working for me in the last 4.22 version either -- I got a lot of red text with this error:
    LogHMD: Error: Splash ovrp_WaitToBeginFrame 677 failed (-1002)
    @tpg.sabibo00.quest yes, broken again in 4.23 and 4.24.0 p1. They used to work in 4.22 for me.
    Just by going: ProjectSettings/OculusVR/SplashDescs -add and element and choose an image.
  • Barzum_01Barzum_01 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited November 13
    -Enabled late-latching on Quest + Vulkan
    For some reason it does crash on my app, its only me or its a know issue with this version?
    I'm using the Oculus Splash screen with the Oculus dist 4.23 with my rift and it is working .
    In project settings->Plugins-Oculus->splash Screen:

NOW on my WIDGET (OSSSession) which open my MP level (listen) I put the logic for the Splash Screen there:

As you can see I have included several Textures with delta rotation to have special effects AND IT WORKS.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 233
    Nexus 6
    As of this post today, my UE4 editor frame rate has tanked with the latest oculus drivers that were installed as required. Frame rate was liquid smooth before update, now it's all jittery and very difficult to develop with this new update. Any way I can get the prior drivers back so I can continue developing without these jitters?

My specs are in my signature. I have Nvidia's latest drivers installed. Using UE4 4.23.1

Solutions?
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...