cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When capturing video, how can the default resolution & bitrate be changed?

firagabird
Adventurer
Currently, the video capture feature outputs at 1024px at 5Mb/s. This document has this to say about the related system property (debug.oculus.enableVideoCapture):
When enabled, each enterVrMode generates a new mp4 file in
/sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/. Videos are full resolution, undistorted,
single-eye, with full-compositing support. Defaults are 1024 resolution
at 5 Mb/s.
The term used, "defaults", imply these settings can be changed. However, there's no reference as to how. Can I get clarification on this?
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Following up to answer your question: You can set the android properties `debug.oculus.videoResolution` and `debug.oculus.videoBitrate`

For example: `adb shell setprop debug.oculus.videoResolution 1536`

If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @mouse_bear once you have done so!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Hi, thanks for reaching out! I have passed this question along to the proper channels and will update you once I receive a response.
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Following up to answer your question: You can set the android properties `debug.oculus.videoResolution` and `debug.oculus.videoBitrate`

firagabird
Adventurer
@NinjaGaijin

This is huge, and AFAIK the only time these Android system properties were mentioned in any public setting. May I request that these be added to the Oculus' official list of properties (and also the page on video capture) so that everyone else with the same query can easily find it?

Again, thank very much! I've been searching for these settings as far back as the original announcement of the video recording feature 🙂

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Glad to have helped with this! I'll pass along your suggestion to the proper parties.

QUAKE
Explorer
What's the difference between video resolution  and texture size?

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.videoResolution 1536

vs

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.textureWidth 1536
adb shell setprop debug.oculus.textureHeight 1536

firagabird
Adventurer
@QUAKE

videoResolution changes the encoded resolution of the video capture (defaults to 1024).

The texture* properties changes the resolution of the eye buffer, which is the texture the game engine renders to (controlled by the dev, but Oculus recommends 1024).

A good way of imagining them is that the eye buffer texture needs to get mapped onto the video capture. If the video res is larger than the eye buffer res, the latter gets stretched to fit the former.

From my personal experience, each have distinct purposes.
  • Increasing the eye buffer is effectively supersampling i.e. forcing the game to render at a higher resolution. Games look sharper while playing as well as recording, but at a huge performance cost.
  • Increasing the video resolution only affects video capture and doesn't change the encoding quality. The only use I've seen for it so far is in forcing Youtube to play my HD captures in 4K, which gets encoded with a higher bitrate and subsequently better playback quality.

firagabird
Adventurer

Increasing the video resolution only affects video capture and doesn't change the encoding quality. The only use I've seen for it so far is in forcing Youtube to play my HD captures in 4K, which gets encoded with a higher bitrate and subsequently better playback quality.

I recently discovered another application for recording at higher resolutions: accurately capturing scene detail that's rendered at panel-limited resolutions, such as Oculus Home. I posted my analysis on Reddit, including videos that showcase the difference. The TL;DR is that in certain cases (e.g. Oculus Home's rug), there will be aliasing on the captured video that isn't encountered when viewing in the headset. If the goal is to accurately present in-game image quality in video form, content creators must record at a panel-limited resolution of 1536px.

This however is an issue (at least on an S7 Exynos); in Oculus Home and many other titles, recording at this resolution introduces heavy frame tearing. I've yet to try this on a higer end phone, and will update this post when I get such results.

EDIT Feb 20: Tried this with an S8 Exynos (see this video capture for reference); it has the exact same issue when recording Oculus Home. I tested recording at 1536px on other titles known to push the phone's limits, like Bait! and Defense Grid 2, and the same frame tearing couldn't be replicated.

@NinjaGaijin

Could you ask the team behind the video capture function if there's a way to record video at half the framerate (30fps instead of 60)? Not every type of app game needs 60fps to accurately present it, and many Gear VR Youtubers upload in 30fps. Recording overhead would be significantly reduced, and the image quality would be improved at the same bitrate.

firagabird
Adventurer

@NinjaGaijin

As of the time of this post, these properties no longer have any effect when I set them in Oculus Go. Can you pass this feedback along to the team? Also, the corresponding page about Android system properties has disappeared from the latest Go SDK documentation.

virtuallyinsaan
Honored Guest
@NinjaGaijin

As pointed out by firagabird - this does not work any more. Oculus is in Developer Mode. adb device is connected. I run the videoresolution command. Video still captures at 1024x1024. I purchased the Go thinking that this command still worked - from 1536 to 1920 isn't that much of a scale up as compared to 1024. Please re-incorporate this command. Unless there''s some other way of capturing video at a higher resolution. Thank you.