cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE 4.24 - whats new / improved / broken

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Maybe it could be nice to start a new thread every time a new UE version is launched so its easy to catch up for everyone.

My observations up to 4.24.0 p2;
+ cascaded shadow maps work again when using MobileMultiView (Quest). In 4.23 the shadows were broken with MMV.
+ UE added automatic instancing for mobile. You enable it by adding 'r.Mobile.SupportGPUScene=1' to the 'DefaultEngine.ini' (Quest). When analyzing your app in Renderdoc it will report the instances but in the TextureViewer the instances will be pitch black (reported to UE). Also, I noticed that the algorithm still misses some objects sometimes (I haven't found any logic yet why some are missed - reported to UE).
+ Vulkan is on par with OGL (in 4.23 I noticed a big fps drop) but the purple glitches are still present sometimes.
+ Oculus SDK will be updated to 1.40.0
- the splash screen is broken (Quest - reported and confirmed by UE).

Edit:
- strikethrough: fixed in new nightly build of RenderDoc

41 REPLIES 41

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
A lod bug in 4.24 - reported but not acknowledged yet by Epic.
- a 3d model (a chair) is created in Blender and imported as FBX in UE.
- light build is ok - no warnings or errors
- then create some LODs for the imported model using the SM editor.
- light build now reports overlapping UVs and the result looks bad.
- deleting the lods or re-importing the fbx doesn't fix this. need to delete the asset and import again
- no difference if you make the lightmap UVs in Blender OR have UE create them at import.Importing as OBJ is same issue.

Anyone can confirm this?
Using the default binary UE 4.24 (and GPU lightmass plugin)

mvillar
Honored Guest

MaxArch said:

A lod bug in 4.24 - reported but not acknowledged yet by Epic.
- a 3d model (a chair) is created in Blender and imported as FBX in UE.
- light build is ok - no warnings or errors
- then create some LODs for the imported model using the SM editor.
- light build now reports overlapping UVs and the result looks bad.
- deleting the lods or re-importing the fbx doesn't fix this. need to delete the asset and import again
- no difference if you make the lightmap UVs in Blender OR have UE create them at import.Importing as OBJ is same issue.

Anyone can confirm this?
Using the default binary UE 4.24 (and GPU lightmass plugin)

Yes MaxArch, I've been dealing with the LOD system lately and I can confirm you it is indeed bugged. What's actually happening is that somehow after you create new LODs, the property "Light map Coordinate Index" switches back to "0", instead of "1" or whatever value you entered for your lightmap UVs. Manually entering a "1" makes nothing as the number automatically changes to "0" or even better the editor crashes XD. Looks like the StaticMesh editor is not able to find a second UV channel even though it is shown in the UV channels previewer.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
@mvillar thanks for the confirm and explanation. Fowarded the info to Epic and hoping we get a fix 'soon'.
Update: send Epic more info as requested - they are investigating. In 4.23 it still works so importing in 4.23, creating lods there and migrate to 4.24 is a workaround for now.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

MaxArch said:

In the inputs I find these options for the GO. I tried the TrackpadX en Y inputs but didn't work. Contacted Epic to see how / what to enable again.

Replying to myself here; trackpad inputs of the GO are broken in 4.24 - confirmed by Epic. No workarounds at the moment. Vote here to get it fixed. https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-85917

motorsep
Rising Star
I wonder if we will get UE 4.24 with integrations before Christmas.. I doubt it 😕

NoirQ
Explorer
For the Go, i made some input progress by setting my inputs to be Touch, and sticking:
[OculusTouch.Settings]
bGoKeysMappedToTouch=True
In my defaultengine.ini

I've not dived too deep on this mind, but it at least let me use the triggers. (I think the config bit is right, but I am not 100%)

Anonymous
Not applicable

MaxArch said:

MaxArch said:

In the inputs I find these options for the GO. I tried the TrackpadX en Y inputs but didn't work. Contacted Epic to see how / what to enable again.

Replying to myself here; trackpad inputs of the GO are broken in 4.24 - confirmed by Epic. No workarounds at the moment. Vote here to get it fixed. https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-85917

damn guess I won't be switching to 4.24 until that is switched. The 'good' news is they have a fix version of 4.24.2 listed there - fingers crossed it really happens!

motorsep said:

I wonder if we will get UE 4.24 with integrations before Christmas.. I doubt it 😕

not much point getting a Oculus 4.24 integration until that is fixed else Oculus will just need to update it again shortly after 😄

FeroxD
Protege

MaxArch said:

Maybe it could be nice to start a new thread every time a new UE version is launched so its easy to catch up for everyone.

My observations up to 4.24.0 p2;
+ cascaded shadow maps work again when using MobileMultiView (Quest). In 4.23 the shadows were broken with MMV.
+ UE added automatic instancing for mobile. You enable it by adding 'r.Mobile.SupportGPUScene=1' to the 'DefaultEngine.ini' (Quest). When analyzing your app in Renderdoc it will report the instances but in the TextureViewer the instances will be pitch black (reported to UE). Also, I noticed that the algorithm still misses some objects sometimes (I haven't found any logic yet why some are missed - reported to UE).
+ Vulkan is on par with OGL (in 4.23 I noticed a big fps drop) but the purple glitches are still present sometimes.
+ Oculus SDK will be updated to 1.40.0
- the splash screen is broken (Quest - reported and confirmed by UE).

Edit:
- strikethrough: fixed in new nightly build of RenderDoc

Thanks for that info coz i spent so menu hours with the splash screen and now i find your post. Also, we don't have nodes from the splash screen for "Show splash screen" or "Hide splash screen" on the 4.24.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer

MaxArch said:

@mvillar thanks for the confirm and explanation. Fowarded the info to Epic and hoping we get a fix 'soon'.
Update: send Epic more info as requested - they are investigating. In 4.23 it still works so importing in 4.23, creating lods there and migrate to 4.24 is a workaround for now.

Again replying to myself; the create lod bug is confirmed by Epic. In their response they stated;; "Please be aware this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon". Please vote for it here https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-86009

motorsep
Rising Star
4.24.1 Hotfix has been released