cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Unity Local Multiplayer

Atley
Protege
Is there any reason Photon Unity Networking Classic won't work for the Quest?  I'm new to mobile, and it will take me a while to test with multiple Quests, so I'd really benefit from someone who has prior experience with this. 

I'm using OVR (I hear it's necessary to update frequently for Quest dev).  My experience is for five players, and does not require matching at the moment.  However it is local, so I will need to align each player's coordinate system (and continue aligning them over the course of the 10 min experience to avoid drift).

Any heads up about potential issues or recommendations would be much appreciated.  It seems as though Photon Classic is the best way to go, but I am also open to trying PUN 2, U-Net, or anything else that might work better for a local Quest multiplayer experience. 

If you know of any good tutorials or repositories to check out, that would be awesome!!  Thank you in advance!  
27 REPLIES 27

ScraboShepherd
Honored Guest
In the recent weeks I found 3 Teams who already made a similar local multiplayer game with Quest as Oculus promoted the Quest on the Connect event with Dead'n'Buried. The Canadian Phenomena made a game named Versus. It's a "lasertag" shooter game for 1vs1 up to 4vs4 players or maybe more. They using a PC as a server with no internet connection, and the quests connected to this via wifi. There is a team in Vietnam, I have no info about them. And I found an article about a company from New-Zeland on the STUFF dot CO dot NZ site. I'm new here, can't share the links, but here is some names for googling: Phenomena - Verus VR Laser Tag; Oddball - The company from Wellington; Holomia XR - Mission X from Vietnam(Youtube...) .

So there is some light in the mystique of Quest based local multiplayer development. Searching for this knowledge and asking people about this is my daily routine now.
Is there anyone who found any usable documentation, technical blueprint to set up this thing in unity? Do you know someone, who know something? Do you know other teams or companies who break this wall already? Please share the info. Hi5 fam!

CPYX
Explorer
I mean in the 12.0 update for Oculus integration in the OVR Manager there is a field for Target Devices size and you can choose multiple Quests or Gear VR for the OVR Camera Rig. Not sure if that's how it will work. ONly have one Quest. Would buy a second one if Multiplayer is easy to develop for with Unity.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone had any success or seen working tutorials/demo for setting up an Oculus Avatar (Go/Quest) based multiplayer use case.  I'm trying to get the bare minimum 2 avatars, in Unity with PUN2 - really basic interaction in a simple room, I thought this would have been completed a thousand times or more but its proving hard to find working information or even demos. hitting nothing but dead ends 😞 @Isummers did you get any further with a video tutorial. Any info much appreciated.

psychicpotato
Honored Guest
The furthest I've gone was with trying to port an existing, functioning Oculus Rift multiplayer setup to the Quest, albeit unsuccessfully. The main issue seems to lie with Oculus Avatar - all the PUN2 infrastructure I've implemented work (voice chat and photon transforms), but there just seems to be no way the Avatar loads upon initiation.

At this time I'm really tempted to just go the route of creating our own Avatar as @paulodgn suggested, though we're unsure if there's documentation/tutorials on that (most of what we find is how to make an avatar...in VRchat).

Himataio
Honored Guest
Poking the thread to see if any seeds of knowledge shake out. 

Has anyone found a site or support forum for developing local multiplayer? The default avatar seems to be an issue, has anyone found success with a replacement avatar from the Unity store? 

bjorn.syse
Protege
You could try to use the CustomHands prefab from the sampleFramework also. If you only need hands that is

Archi16
Explorer
Any new here?  is there anyone who succeed with oculus avatars and multiplayer?
Im  made my custom avatar system and connected with photonengine. everything works great.
Now i want to connect oculus avatar to Photonengine.   and seems it impossible or will require a lot of time and script changes.

matiasbru
Protege
I have the same question.
I'm currently working on a VR multiplayer
local experience using Photon PUN2 and Oculus Quest 2 devices, everything works great. After a couple of hours trying to find the solution, I just bought this asset and it's working like a charm. It's even working with HandTracking, as I've requested the dev to implement it. Just keep in mind, it's using custom avatars with hand clone prefabs from the original Oculus SDK.

But I can't find a way to get (real and virtual) spatial alignment.    

I
found that Hololens is using something called "Azure Anchors" for spatial alignment. In this case, the first user creates an Azure Anchor point and store the anchor information in the Azure resource, then they share this anchor data among the new users/devices. It would be so could to have a similar implementation for the Quest2 + Photon.

These are the steps for the Hololens, it would be a nice guide to try to implement something similar:
  1. On-device 1: Start the app (the Rover Explorer is instantiated and placed on the table)
  2. On-device 2: Start the app (both users see the

table with the Rover Explorer, but the table does not appear in the same

place and the user avatars do not appear where the users are)
  3. On-device 1: Press the Start Azure Session button
  4. On-device 1: Press the Create Azure Anchor button (creates anchor at the location of the TableAnchor object and stores the anchor information in the Azure resource).
  5. On-device 1: Press the Share Azure Anchor button (shares the anchor ID with other users in real-time)
  6. On-device 2: Press the Start Azure Session button
  7. On-device 2: Press the Get Azure Anchor button

(connects to the Azure resource to retrieve the anchor information for

the shared anchor ID then moves the TableAnchor object to the location

where the anchor was created with the device 1)
More info here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/develop/unity/tutorials/mr-learning-sharing-0...