IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Developing for Quest on Mac OS X

baleboybaleboy Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello,

I would like to know whether I'll be able to develop for Oculus Quest using a Mac OS X workstation.

Thanks!

Comments

• MikeSwansonMikeSwanson Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Yes. Just like the Oculus Go.
  • Timo3000Timo3000 Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    I think it's even simpler than for the Go. I made a tutorial video on this topic: How to Setup Unity for Oculus Quest Game Development.
  • ComputerEverydayComputerEveryday Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Timo3000 said:
    I think it's even simpler than for the Go. I made a tutorial video on this topic: How to Setup Unity for Oculus Quest Game Development.

These should be posted on their own and stickied. It's gonna save a lot of people a lot of trouble. Thanks guys.
  • JattierJattier Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    I am developing for the Quest on a Mac with Unity.  I was not able to do it with Unreal because I could not enable the Oculus plugin.  Booting in to Windows, I could enable it.
  • mostlyatnightmostlyatnight Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same Jattier said:
    I am developing for the Quest on a Mac with Unity.  I was not able to do it with Unreal because I could not enable the Oculus plugin.  Booting in to Windows, I could enable it.
    Same here, does anyone know how to setup Unreal engine on Macbook Pro ? Unity works but i don't like it.
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, I figured it out.  First off, unless you want the latest and greatest Oculus plugin, the default install of UE4 4.24.1 is fine.  If you must have the latest, compile the Oculus fork of the Unreal source.  Turns out, that is fairly trivial to do and the instructions in the README are clear.  If you need more help, reply here and I'll list out the steps.
  • MrWaverlyMrWaverly Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I'm working on a mac mini running high sierra. In the build setting the Run Device is greyed out/inactive so I can't connect my Quest to the project. Any suggestions?
    Brain Burst
    First, I would verify that your version of OSX works with your version of Unity.  Is there any reason you can't upgrade to Mojave?  Before trying that, I'd suggest making a full backup with Time Machine and then upgrade.

• MrWaverlyMrWaverly Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Thanks. I got the Run Device to recognize the Quest.Now I'm getting a "Gradle Fail" notice during the "Run Build" so I can't get the project downloaded onto my Quest. BTW I've not found any way to verify that High Sierra is not compatible  with Unity. No one is talking about it on any of the forums.
  • noeneelnoeneel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Jattier said:
    Yeah, I figured it out.  First off, unless you want the latest and greatest Oculus plugin, the default install of UE4 4.24.1 is fine.  If you must have the latest, compile the Oculus fork of the Unreal source.  Turns out, that is fairly trivial to do and the instructions in the README are clear.  If you need more help, reply here and I'll list out the steps.
    That would be great if you could thanks. I've got access to the Unreal Git repo now but can't see the fork you are talking about.