cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal 4.25.X changes and issues

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
New UE version 4.25 - some changes / issues. Lets put them in one topic for an easy overview and catching up..

4.25.0 preview 1
- Too bad, the new Epic-GPU lightmass plugin is not in this version. Target might be 4.26 (if you build the dev branch you get 4.26)
- When you make a build for Quest, it will fail and you need to install a newer NDK (21). Normally its in the UE extras directory. Not yet. Find it here https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads ; Download it, extract the zip and put it in the NVPACK dir. Change the Dir in the project settings.
- With the new NDK, building for Quest works but it immediately crashes on Quest. There are a few new project settings but haven't found the right combo yet. ADB logcat has: 'Abort message: 'The requested API version in ovrInitParms (1.1.29.0) is not compatible with this version of VrApi Loader (1.1.31.0)!''. No clue if this is a user setting or a Engine-bug. Reported at Epic.
- update 03-05: tried both building a new project and re-using an existing and working 4.24 project. Both crash on Quest. Only difference is the existing project takes longer to crash.
- update 03-06 "The crash on Quest is known and we're working to have it fixed prior to full 4.25 release."

65 REPLIES 65

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Updated to 4.25.0.p4. Finally builds for Android work again but... when opening the app on the Quest its endless stuck at the three blinking dots. Have to reboot the Quest to get control back. Used a working 4.24 project to test. Anyone succeeded in deploying for Quest in 4.25.0.p4?
Update April 2: yesterday tested p5, still the same. Reported already.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you go through the new Android studio process for your builds?
main reason I haven't tested it yet 😄

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
@aussieburgerVR Yes, I did. All is installed and build is successful. We've seen something like this before so waiting for p6.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally got around to trying it on the Go and has a black screen on load - no surprise I guess considering similar behavior on the Quest as you guys mentioned

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
just tried P6 - still the same problem - three blinking dots and have to hard-reboot the Quest to get control back. Too bad. Hoping for P7...

motorsep
Rising Star

MaxArch said:

just tried P6 - still the same problem - three blinking dots and have to hard-reboot the Quest to get control back. Too bad. Hoping for P7...

I think it's the integration version mismatch. Whatever comes with stock UE4 is few version behind from whatever is current on HMD and integration version should match (+/-1 version) HMD OS version, afaik.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
I would expect Epic has at least one Quest to test and a direct communication with devs at Oculus. I guess Epic has bigger problems to solve first.

dMs
Explorer
What's new in 4.25.0p6? 

motorsep
Rising Star

MaxArch said:

I would expect Epic has at least one Quest to test and a direct communication with devs at Oculus. I guess Epic has bigger problems to solve first.

No, Epic just doesn't care for VR as much as they do for Fortnite and AAA third party games in the pipeline.

motorsep
Rising Star

dMs said:

What's new in 4.25.0p6? 

Epic released preliminary notes on what's new in 4.25 and you can read it on the UE4 forum. As for VR, gotta wait for Oculus to release their 4.25 fork to know what's new in it for Oculus VR.